Expedition & Alpine forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Northern Lights and wild camping - Norway

martinturner - on 21 Oct 2012
Hi guys, haven't been on here for a long while!

I've always wanted to go see the northern lights and I've got a few days off in the beginning of December to spare, so was thinking of taking 4-5days off to go have a little explore of northern Norway! I know there's no guarantee of seeing them, but with the near permanent darkness in December there should still be some awesome sky's if the weathers right!

So the plan so far, fly into troms° and go straight over the bridge into kval°ysletta. Maybe stay over night here if it's late, or if not, he's straight into the mountainous area.
Now we are talking December in northern Norway, so obviously it's going to be cold, snowy and very possibly wet, but I can handle that for a few days... It's all part of the fun after all!!
From here I'd do a big circle of the 3 major lakes in the region and back round to kval°ysletta before flying home.
Wild camping would be the accommodation of choice, and walking my method of travel.

So, has anybody been to this region before and have any advice on best locations or ways to go about things?
Has anyone been to Norway at this time of year to comment on the lack of sunlight? And if it's worth doing?
Anything I've maybe overlooked that anyone can think of?

Thanks for your time

... not showing 27 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums