UKC

Arc'teryx Gamma LT & Squamish Hoody

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ElBarto 23 Oct 2012
Hello,

I've been looking on the Arc'teryx site and I can't really tell the difference between these two garments. I get that the Gamma LT is a softshell and I'm guessing the Squamish Hoody isn't but it does have a hood but is that the only difference? They're both not insulated and both pretty windproof and water resistant so why would you want one over the other? As they are both part of two 'families' sharing the same name there must be more of a difference, right?

Can some one explain to me the practical differences between the two?

If anyone is wondering the reason I'm asking is because it is just really bothering me not knowing the difference between them. I don't know why but it just is.
 JayPee630 23 Oct 2012
In reply to ElBarto:

No, totally different garments both in design, fabric and intended use.

Squamish is a pertex style very light windproof, Gamma LT is a thicker fabric softshell, much heavier.

All this detail and more is on their site if you look under each garment.
OP ElBarto 23 Oct 2012
In reply to JayPee630:
Yea I have looked on their site and I think that's what is annoying me about not understanding it, they give lots of information but I just don't get it.

I'll probably try reading up on it again.
 JayPee630 23 Oct 2012
In reply to ElBarto:

What don't you understand? It seems pretty simple to me, different fabrics and design for different uses!
OP ElBarto 23 Oct 2012
In reply to JayPee630:
I don't know which is what is annoying. How about examples of what uses they are best suited at? Might help me see the difference.
 JayPee630 23 Oct 2012
In reply to ElBarto:

I give up.
 Rick Armitage 23 Oct 2012
In reply to ElBarto: The Gamma LT jacket offers more durability and weather protection than the Squamish. It's also a closer fitting garment and is warmer in use. The fabric is a lightweight stretch woven textile which is called Fortuis 1. Arcteryx use several weights of Fortuis in there Softshel line up. A great piece for cool weather crag use, layering under a shel in crap conditions etc. I wouldn't want to run in it though. This is where the Squamish comes in. A much lighter textile is used here. It's not as warm and will breath better than the Gamma LT whilst you work up a sweat fast. The Squamish is more wind resistant than the Gamma LT but not as warm or durable.
Both great items with there own uses. You could use the Squamish over the Gamma LT too. It's a slightly less fitted garment than the Gamma LT.

I've been using a Gamma Hybrid Hoody which is fantastic and almost blends the best attributes of the two garments here. Hope this helps?
OP ElBarto 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Rick Armitage:
Actually that helps me alot, thanks.

I might end up investing in one.

Thank you very much again, certainly helped clear it up for me.
 Rick Armitage 24 Oct 2012
In reply to ElBarto: No worries. Glad you found the info usefull. I do stand to be corrected however. The Gamma LT is made from a stretch woven textile which Arcteryx call Burly Double-Weave. As the name implies its super durable for the weight of the textile used.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...