UKC

Monster slings.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d_b 29 Oct 2012
I have an old sling, made by troll I think, that is made of ludicrously over specified nylon webbing and claims to be good for 30kn.

It's getting a bit long in the tooth so I'm vaguely considering retiring it, and was wondering if anyone still makes something similar. Because every rack needs at least 1 piece of kit that falls into the category of "absurd overkill"

Any suggestions?
 beardy mike 29 Oct 2012
In reply to davidbeynon: Buy a camalot #5. That falls into absurd overkill for most routes in the uk.
 muppetfilter 29 Oct 2012
In reply to davidbeynon: This is the proverbial nuke in a bug hunt :0)

http://www.safetyliftingear.com/home/item_overview.asp?id=595&groupid=2...
OP d_b 29 Oct 2012
In reply to muppetfilter:

Wow!

I was thinking more along the lines of replacing like with like though
OP d_b 29 Oct 2012
In reply to muppetfilter:

7:1 safety factor, so theoretically good for 70 tonnes. I'll take 3.
 muppetfilter 29 Oct 2012
In reply to davidbeynon: And you could tow Agricultural equipment with it and not worry about damage ... ;0)
 deepsoup 29 Oct 2012
In reply to davidbeynon:
Lyon Equipment still do 30kN nylon slings: http://www.lyon.co.uk/workandrescue/slings.html
 Reach>Talent 29 Oct 2012
In reply to davidbeynon:
7:1 safety factor, so theoretically good for 70 tonnes. I'll take 3.

Although at over 4kg each you may not get off the ground!

deepsoup 29 Oct 2012
In reply to mike kann:
Surprisingly useful on a certain type of grit route though. :O)
(Not even particularly hard ones necessarily - eg: Kremlin Crack at Rivelin.)

Now that the Wideboyz have made offwidth shenanigans almost fashionable again, you'd probably have to get a Big Bro for true 'wide crack' absurd overkill..
OP d_b 29 Oct 2012
In reply to deepsoup:

BTW the main thing I like about it isn't the strength, but the fact that it is a lot wider than the rest of my slings so I can spread the load over a greater area than with a normal nylon sling and loads more than a skinny dyneema one.

Mostly it's not a concern but sometimes it can be very handy. For peace of mind anyway.
OP d_b 29 Oct 2012
In reply to deepsoup:

Talking of silly crack shenanigans I got a kong gipsy placed for the first time on saturday. It was completely gratuitous and there was no need for it which is fortunate really - it fell out
 beardy mike 29 Oct 2012
In reply to deepsoup: Already got one I was mainly thinking size 5 on a mountain route which I know mr Benyon is partial to. I did once take a size 4.5 camalot on a winter ascent of tower ridge, and managed to use it as the only piece of pro on a pitch. When you need them, nothing else will do. Other than a chockstone dropped from the top...
OP d_b 29 Oct 2012
In reply to mike kann:

My belayers tend to have a thing or two to say about chockstones dropped from the top...
 deepsoup 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent:
It'll not fit into a normal carabiner, so you'd also be needing to replace a few screwgates with these: http://dmmprofessional.com/products/steel-small-side-opening-scaffold-hook-...
 deepsoup 29 Oct 2012
In reply to davidbeynon:
> Talking of silly crack shenanigans I got a kong gipsy placed for the first time on saturday. It was completely gratuitous and there was no need for it which is fortunate really - it fell out

Ha ha. I have a couple of Big Bros and that's exactly my experience of those. The one time I almost thought I was about to test one, it randomly made a a really scary "ba-doing!" noise as the spring inside shifted or sommat and I suddenly discovered I could wedge myself a bit deeper into the crack after all. ;O)
 beardy mike 29 Oct 2012
In reply to deepsoup: Gah big bro's are ok - they just take a bit of getting used to... admittedly not as convenient as a large cam, but they do ok... plus they make for a great enema kit when your mate is getting on your nerves.
OP d_b 29 Oct 2012
In reply to mike kann:

Remind me never to touch any of your gear.
 deepsoup 29 Oct 2012
In reply to mike kann:
> (In reply to deepsoup) Gah big bro's are ok - they just take a bit of getting used to...

Heh. I'm sure they're grand if you can find the right placement for them - I'm not giving up on them, but definitely do need more practice before I start trusting my placements.

They do seem to need a very parallel sided crack to be properly bomber though.
 GrahamD 29 Oct 2012
In reply to davidbeynon:

My stupidly long overkill sling (abseil anchor) is just made from knotted tape.
 beardy mike 29 Oct 2012
In reply to deepsoup: not necessarily. If it's not that parallel sided what you want is a domed section of rock, and stick the dome in the middle of the tube. Might be a bit wobbly but it wont come out in a hurry...
 deepsoup 29 Oct 2012
In reply to mike kann:
Ok. Well, like I said - more practice required. :O)
Ta for the tip, I'll bear it in mind next time I'm playing around with 'em.
 Landy_Dom 29 Oct 2012
In reply to davidbeynon:

You want one of these then:

http://www.wildcountry.co.uk/products/clog-uk-only/25mm-polyester-slings/

Our local scout camp climbing tower uses them and they are great for the psychological reassurance side of things! Especially with nervous kids.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...