UKC

Peru costs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 04 Nov 2012
Out of interest. How much has the below set people back?

A three week epxed to Peru doing the usual peaks, inshica, tocillaraju, cholipcqui

All costs included - guiding, meals , even on the hills, transfers and donkeys.

Am getting a quote of 7500 USD
 Damo 04 Nov 2012
In reply to aujayeb:

Not including airfare? Seems quite expensive.

I spent five or six weeks in Peru last year, but in the Vilcanota, not the Blanca, and probably spent less than $3,000 in-country.

This included a week in Cusco in a good hotel, good cafe meals, a trip to Machu Pichu, the Ausangate Circuit trek, climb of Ausangate (6350m) with two horses and two horse guys, but no guide, our own food, a few more days in Cusco, van to Marcapata and two horses and horse guys for a week long trek around 5000m (Paso Chimboya, Quel'caya) and attempts on a peak, then a van back to Cusco and hotel.

In three weeks there is a chance you would not get up those three peaks, and $7,500 would seem even worse value.
 Damo 04 Nov 2012
In reply to Damo:
> (In reply to aujayeb)
>
> ... climb of Ausangate (6350m) with two horses and two horse guys,

Just to be clear, I climbed Ausangate with my girlfriend, not two horses!
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 04 Nov 2012
In reply to Damo:

Lol

That is what I thought
 JH74 04 Nov 2012
In reply to aujayeb:

Mate I've not been to Peru in a while but that seems like alot. If you have time just rock up and ask about or even grab a guide there and go do what you want to. It can't cost as much as that surely.

When I was in Nepal there were so many expeds going here and there and all for like 75$ a day. If you booked from the UK people were charging 300$ a day for exactly the same thing. Daft.
 jonnie3430 04 Nov 2012
In reply to aujayeb:

> A three week epxed to Peru doing the usual peaks, inshica, tocillaraju, cholipcqui
>
I've done the first two, the first is a snow plod, the second is slightly steeper at the top, but still on the Scottish II/III range. There is a hut at the base camp that you can stay in and it provides meals etc.. so I'd recommend doing it yourself. There is a lot of other stuff there too (Urus from the same basecamp for acclimatisation,) Alpamayo is awesome, Quiteraju is next to it and isn't that hard for a 6000m tick, Artesonraju looks lovely as well. Pisco is the other classic acclimatisation peak and there is a hut there too that can be stayed in. For a great place to stay in Huaraz, I recommend Jo's place, run by an ex-pat and his wife, who are both superb at looking after you.

Cost wise, after about a grand for the flights, I think I probably spent less than $400 for a month of climbing.
 Andes 04 Nov 2012
In reply to aujayeb:
Thats expensive
 martinph78 04 Nov 2012
In reply to aujayeb: Would be loads cheaper to arrange it when you get to Huaraz. Plenty of companies offering the serivce. I have been on Pisco and Chopicalqui. We didn't use guides or porters though.

SiriusB 26 Nov 2012
7500 ist TOTALY overprices! I just was in Peru and Boilivia this year and did some climbing and hikking around Huaraz.
You can arrange everything in Huaraz or if you want to organize in advance contact a company in huaraz out of the UK. I used a company owned by a belgian woman. PM me if you want further infos. Also the people in country will prifit much more if you pay them directly
 Highball_Mike 26 Nov 2012
In reply to aujayeb:

Waaaaaay too expensive!

Just get a flight and head to Jos place. You can either find climbing partners when you get there for the easier peaks or book a guide if you want. Either way 500 quid for a month plus flights will be enough - unless you want to be guided up everything.

You'll love it - I can't wait to go back.

AndyC 27 Nov 2012
In reply to aujayeb:

Hi Avi - for more realistic commercial pricing see John Biggars's website -

http://www.andes.org.uk/expeditions-and-explorations/first-ascents-peru.asp

Recommended if you're going to Peru for the first time!

Andy
 marzi 27 Nov 2012
Flights from UK, 1000 euro
Ishinca, urus, toclarraju 700euro with local company

although would be better spending more time in the ishinca valley to acclimatise than the local guide company suggested
 dermo 27 Nov 2012
In reply to steve maher:
It's been 7 years since I was in the Cordillera Blanca but back then I saw a range of quility in the guides. We didn't use any but the local guides seemed to vary from the absolute dog rough to perfectly safe (IMO). I'd check the reviews if going for a local company

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...