UKC

Compass storage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mook456 04 Nov 2012
Hi I have recently bought a cheap GPS for use in poor conditions etc. I will obviously still be carrying my paper map and compass whilst out in the hills and will be keeping them all in the same pocket in my rucksack. I noticed that the needle on the compass moved when its next to the batteries in the GPS but my question is would this damage the compass long term or would it just operate as normal when moved away from the GPS ?
I know the simple answer is to probably store them seperately but I don't really want to be rooting around for gear in the bottom of the sack.

Cheers
 Pritchard 04 Nov 2012
In reply to markymark31:

It should work as normal when taken away from anything with an eletromagnetic source (phone/GPS/etc). As a rule I try not to store electrical items with my compass as they can get inverted polarity (north pointing to south/south to north) if the magnetic signal is strong enough (I have had this happen once, with what I think was my compass getting near a large speak, but I can't be sure), but I am probably being slightly paranoid about it if am an honest.

Craig.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...