UKC

Scarpa SL Activ extra wide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Vampirov 06 Nov 2012
According to a Scarpa sales manager:

"The SL Activ (BD) and the SLM3 (Bx/Bxx) are actually two different generations of the same boot.

Originally the SLM3 was built on the narrowest last in the Scarpa range (BX) so in order to accommodate a wider range of consumers we also ran a wide fit (BXX) in conjunction.
Last year we released the SL Activ, which is the design update of the SL; this is built on the new BD last. The BD last fits wider than the BXX last and as such there is no need to run a different width fitting.

The features described for the BD last do not apply to the SLM3."
 tom84 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Vampirov:

you have managed to repeat someone elses words- so well done for that. perhaps you could add a comment, or perhaps add a question to seek further information on the matter.

the sl is much wider than it was previously in the front half of the boot, the back half and the general shape is a bit slimmer and lower profile than before. lots of memory foam down the sides and cuff to increase the range of foot shapes and general comfort. the heel is quite wide so try them before you buy them. powermatic lacing makes them much easier to tighten even when brand new and the leather a bit stiff.

Vampirov 07 Nov 2012
I posted that information because it contradicts some statements I've read in another thread, and I thought it was valuable.

Unfortunately, I couldn't reply to that thread and opted to start a new one, which anyone searching for the topic will find.

There are folks advertising Scarpa SL Activs with the "extra-wide" Bxx last, even though that boot apparently doesn't exist and the standard SL Activ BD last is *wider* than the Bxx last (not to mention its other new features), according to the Scarpa rep.
 CurlyStevo 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Vampirov: ive owned sl m3 standard and now sl activ id guess both boots have a very similar shape sole. but because of the reduced height and foam padding the actives feel snugger and narrower.
Vampirov 07 Nov 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: Thanks for the info.
 CurlyStevo 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Vampirov:
The SL M3 (standard) are quie high around the toe box and with standard socks a bit on the baggy side throughout (whilst the activs are more fitted). Once the leather has softened up this is why the M3 feel less snug than the activ as the foot can move around more in them as the leather gives a bit.
Vampirov 07 Nov 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: What about the width in the ball of the foot region?

And the new BD last is supposed to have more toe spring, for more rocker action, presumably. Did you find that to be true?
 CurlyStevo 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Vampirov:
Its hard to say the Activ probably is a bit wider where the little toe is on the footbed, but because the toe box/front of boot is less high/baggy the sides of the boot are more supportive, plus the (masses of!) foam inside helps things, but is a bit warm in summer!

I think the activs have a more pronounced rocker and are definately more bendy (and comfy) out of the box than the M3. Not sure what a toe spring is :-/

Vampirov 07 Nov 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: "Toe spring" is just the upward curvature of the sole in the toe region. It makes the forefoot "rocker" curve.

See image #2 at: http://www.scarpa.co.uk/technical/lasting/bd-last/

I need boots with width (not necessarily volume) at the big toe-joint - little toe joint line, as in the point indicated in image #3.
 CurlyStevo 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Vampirov:
Definately worth a try I have wider than average feet and if anything the activs are a bit wide on me in the area you require.
In reply to Vampirov:
> I need boots with width (not necessarily volume) at the big toe-joint - little toe joint line, as in the point indicated in image #3.

SL Active could be a good choice then, they've plenty of room in this area. Sounds like my foot is similarly shaped to yours, and for me they've one of the best fits of any boot I've tried. We'll be publishing a review of them in the near future.
Vampirov 07 Nov 2012
Thanks for the info guys!
Vampirov 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Btw, what's the verdict on Cocona lining vs. Gore-Tex?
 CurlyStevo 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Vampirov: the cocona lining is just the fabric lining so not comparible. a.major reason i got these boots was to avoid orrible goretex liners.
Vampirov 07 Nov 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: I thought Cocona was something like eVent. Your saying its much more breathable than Gore-tex, being only a fabric liner? I'd like to avoid Gore-tex, but the non-GTX options are limited.
 CurlyStevo 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Vampirov:
it's just a lining for comfort it has no waterproofing qualities.

You do not need a GTX or similar lining for the scarpa SL range and IMO this is a good thing!
In reply to CurlyStevo: Definitely agree with that; waterproof linings in an all-leather non-winter boot (and with minimal seams to leak) are pretty much redundant, and just add to the sweat factor. I suspect most firms just add them because they think the market demands it.
 CurlyStevo 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
Yes and to add to that in my experience the GTX lining often starts leaking before the boot is worn out anyway, so then you have a boot feature that makes your feet more sweaty and doesn't keep the water out anyways!
Vampirov 07 Nov 2012
Okay, I found the info on Cocona here:

http://www.coconainc.com/patented-technology/#more-849

Seems to be about evaporative cooling and odor management.
Vampirov 07 Nov 2012
Is Sherpa leather too thick/stiff to stretch if added width is needed?
 CurlyStevo 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Vampirov:
are you not able to try them on?
Vampirov 07 Nov 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Unfortunately, I'm in a difficult situation. I'm living in Siberia right now. I have no access to this kind of gear. (And being a size 47, its hard to find ANY footwear here). I'm forced to purchase stuff online and return what doesn't work. I do as much research as possible, then throw the dice. It's a costly and time-consuming hit and miss affair. I'm new to this forum, and probably don't really belong here, admittedly.
 CurlyStevo 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Vampirov:
Apparently the scarpa manta are quite popular with people with wider feet, but obviously are a stiffer boot.
Vampirov 07 Nov 2012
Just to wrap up this topic, let me reiterate, for anyone who cares:

There IS NO Scarpa SL Activ with extra wide Bxx last--that boot doesn't exist-- and the new BD last is wider than the Bxx last, in any case.

These facts have been reconfirmed to me by the Scarpa rep.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...