UKC

what torch to dry holds off?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
steve edwards 15 Nov 2012
I've got a project with wet holds that I'm looking to dry off. Any advice on the type of torch to use for this? We Yanks are pretty useless on such topics so I've turned to y'all as I'm certain you're the experts. As I recall, my Peak Bouldering Guide has a picture of a torch in it, few crissakes, so I'm sure most of you carry them as a standard part of your rack.

Essentially I'd like the know what doesn't work. Are some torches too powerful that they'll destroy the rock? Any other drying tips appreciated. I did, a-la Macloed, shovel off a massive pile of snow from the top. This will help but I need to accelerate the process.

Thanks!
 dr_botnik 15 Nov 2012
In reply to steve edwards:

For this trolling exercise, the mark you recieve is:
0/10
 Reach>Talent 15 Nov 2012
We are currently testing a new high speed drying system, we hope to be able to dry all of Stanage in one go!

youtube.com/watch?v=W3nMu56_nTE&
 iksander 15 Nov 2012
In reply to steve edwards: Just chip off the wet bits with a chisel
 Fraser 15 Nov 2012

To give you a serious answer (might be the only one you get on here tbh) I've used a small catering torch before with success but the cheap 'part' you can get from Maplins to connect to a cigarette lighter didn't work at all well, too puny. If you do get one, be very careful with the type of rock you use it on as they can irreperably damage it.
 deacondeacon 15 Nov 2012
In reply to Fraser: What type of rock were you using it on?
 Kemics 15 Nov 2012

Or use ice axes, that way it doesn't matter if the rock is wet.
 nniff 15 Nov 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Pah! Chicken feed!

If you're going to do scorched earth, at least do it properly. Any blow torch that doesn't blot out the sun isn't even worth lighting.....

Small problem about putting it out again though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bnXIqlFiKg&list=PL78B590DBB014B686&...
 thin bob 15 Nov 2012

An example from your 'turf' might be instructive Please video it, I'd love to see how it works!

Get, and fill, a 'Yosemite Big Wall Drainpipe PortaPotty'. Drilla couple of airholes at one end (the one you'll be holding - make them about 1/2" diameter, you need to see what's happening in there).
use your zippo to light one end: the gases will make a fine drying blast.

In reply to iksander:
> (In reply to steve edwards) Just chip off the wet bits with a chisel

Why not bolt on some resin holds?

andyathome 15 Nov 2012
I would have thought there is something in the US army manuals from the time of Vietnam about how to torch even bigger areas than a hold?
 Whitty2012 16 Nov 2012
In reply to nniff: very effective on areas with natural oil, but I don't remember there beind much oil at UK crags, incidentally oily holds would also make wet holds seem positively grippy. What you need is something like this for a more targetted approach! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n28-54-lftA&feature=related
In reply to steve edwards: Turn the crag upside down and the water will just pour off.
 Fraser 16 Nov 2012
In reply to deacondeacon:
> (In reply to Fraser) What type of rock were you using it on?

Dolerite.
steve edwards 19 Nov 2012
Picked up one of those jet car devices and an oscillation over thruster and plan on plan on establishing routes in the 8th dimension, where it's always dry. Lord John Smallberries has given me the go ahead to develop the whole place.

As for the challenge here, I'm working on 5 FAs in one day on 5 different rock types, so Dolerite's a pretty good answer. A bunch of Wisconsin-ites provided drying techniques surpassing anything here, which (given all of your lore on getting it done it crap conditions) must be more embarrassing than the Yankee grit rampage a few years back. It'll be a shame if it when the media finds out it eclipses all that hard work done by the Wide Boyz, because they were truly impressive.
 iksander 19 Nov 2012
In reply to steve edwards: And there we were worried about not getting a sensible answer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...