UKC

Warm, lightweight insulating jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 19 Nov 2012
Looked at the ME Bastion a few times but wanting some feedback on what others recommend that meets the water resistant and windproofness of the Bastion but is possibly even better?
Shearwater 19 Nov 2012
Something like a Rab Xenon and one of those lightweight 2.5 layer waterproofs? Might be more wind and rain resistant, and you might get a better hood too
 Sliabh1982 19 Nov 2012
A Patagonia one springs to mind but the name escapes me. Someone else on here may be able to help!
 mattrm 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Sliabh1982:

Patagonia Winter Sun? That's waterproof and insulating. Also there's the Nano Puff midlayers.

I've got a Montane Prism 2.0 and it's excellent. Tho I do think that ME Bastion looks great. The Prism isn't much lighter and the outer isn't very waterproof. However I wear it all the time, for most things, including, cragging, winter climbing, walking, long winter fell runs etc.
 ripper 19 Nov 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: Field & Trek have lightweight down jackets by Karrimor and Nevica at £40 a pop a the moment. The Karrimor one doesn't have a hood but the Nevica does (although it has no drawstring).
 galpinos 19 Nov 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

The Bastion is a weird one. It doesn’t seem to fit quite into any category of jacket that I’d want on paper but I wear mine all the time, and I’ve got a lot of insulating jackets.

It’s no good as a belay jacket (in my opinion but I believe Nick Bullock uses his as one) as the hood isn’t helmet compatible and the sleeve cuffs are too tight.

However, it’s great as warm go-to jacket. It’s warm for its weight, has a good cut and is weatherproof. I wear mine belaying, as a warm layer in the sac when walking/camping, I live in it when I’m in my van and wear it to the pub. I’m even considering it as an insulated shell for cold weather winter climbing.

The shell does set it apart for the Nanopuff/Xenon?Zephrus competitors. It’s far more weatherproof that my NorthFace Zephrus so instead of thinking I’ll get wet but stay warmish I know I’ll stay dry and actually warm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...