UKC

Joe Browns Whitehall navigation course

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nigel n 21 Nov 2012
Joe set this up whilst working as an instructor at Whitehall in the early sixties. It follows a circular route around Coombs Moss and the hills to the west of the Goyt Valley. He carved grid references and bearings in stones at each location. There is one in the roadside wall opposite the stile that gives access to Castle Naze. I have found some of the locations but some have eluded me – for example the one close to the shooting huts on the west side of Coombs Moss.
Does anyone know the exact locations of all Joe’s markers – I believe that there was a magazine article about the course some years ago.
oggi 22 Nov 2012
In reply to nigel n: Nigel, the course is now almost defunct as many of the carvings are no longer there, or no longer readable. When I was at Whitehall, until 2004, there were details at the centre and I am sure they may still have them but even then they were not a lot of use.
Doug
 John Gresty 22 Nov 2012
In reply to nigel n: Nearly all of the markings are still intact, there is one in the Goyt that I have not found, despite several attempts. The one in Combs was certainly there several years ago, but took a bit of finding. The other main problem is the starting point at the back of Whitehall, the original appears to have been overwritten, and I have found neither. I do not want to give much away as it took quite a few enjoyable trips to piece the whole thing together, and if I can do it, so can others.
The missing checkpoint in the Goyt has supposed to have been found, but at a slightly different location, I didn't find it there either.
In reply to nigel n:

Did the references get pulled?
OP nigel n 23 Nov 2012
In reply to nigel n:

Sorted now thanks to the helpful folks at Whitehall !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...