UKC

The best crampons for Scarpa Freney's?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Emma Armstrong 21 Nov 2012
Looking for the best C3 crampons for my Scarpa Freney's. I'm thinking grivel g14's, but if anyone has any advice that would be great.

Cheers

Emma
 vscott 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Emma Armstrong:
Freney's (assuming silver/blue uppers model) have quite asymmetric soles so you may need the asymmetric linking bars to get a good fit with g14s (especially if a small size). Same applies to other crampons. Petzl Lynx fit Phantoms (same sole as freney) well. Ideally go somewhere with a reasonable range so you can experiment with different options.
 butteredfrog 22 Nov 2012

Grivel crampons fit Scarpa's well, they are the same company after all.
 ianstevens 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Emma Armstrong: I had G14's on mine, worked like a dream.
 neil9216 22 Nov 2012
Hi
I have scarpa freneys and as mentioned Grivel works best but make sure you have the asymmetrical bar fitted, i had a great deal of bother trying to fit straight bar crampons to these boots before i realized what was going on.
Also a little tip,
the boots are compatible with the GSB crampon system(now obsolete)however you can still pick them up online at greatly reduced prices.
hope this helps
 DH3631 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Emma Armstrong: terminators are a good fit if you can get hold of a pair.
 CurlyStevo 22 Nov 2012
What size Freneys?

The problem with crampon fit is much worse in the larger sizes.

One thing I would avoid personally is any crampons that require an asymetric bar, it makes the front points pigeon toed.

For size 46 I have found the best fit is Grivel Rambo IV it also helps to stiffen up the boots, terminators are also pretty good but the front bail isn't as good out of the box and the crampon down points do tend slightly more to the inside edge of the boot also the anti bots are not nearly as nice, Sabretooths fit well also (with no need for an asym bar). I have also heard people saying the Dartwins fit but I haven't tried them.

I have found G12, G14 are not a great fit, the GSB fitting doesn't help either it actually makes the front points point more inwards than the other fittings. The front point protrusion is poor with the crampomatic fitting and the bails don't hug the boot much. Using rambo IV bails does improve this but the crampons do tend too much to the inside edge of the boot and overhang slightly here (this is without the asymetric bar which IMO just creates other problems)
 ChrisRGX 22 Nov 2012
In reply to ianstevens: + 1 for the G14s. I've got the GSB version and never had a problem. I think I needed to fit a curved bar (included) but I can't remember.
 CurlyStevo 22 Nov 2012
In reply to butteredfrog:
> (In reply to Emma Armstrong)
>
> Grivel crampons fit Scarpa's well, they are the same company after all.

'Some" grivel crampons fit 'some' scarpa boots well would be more accurate IMO.

The new range of scarpa boots (Mt Blancs and Jorasses) are much less asymetric so are less fussy in this regard than Freney and Cumbre (Which afaik have the same sole unit). However the rocker is now very pronounced for a B3 boot which causes other problems.
 CurlyStevo 22 Nov 2012
In reply to ChrisRGX:
There are much better crampons than G14s out there for Freneys (in the larger sizes anyways). I know I have a pair of each and I also own the asym bars. As mentioned I see the asym bars as a poor bodge.
 nufkin 22 Nov 2012
In reply to butteredfrog:
> (In reply to Emma Armstrong)
>
> Grivel crampons fit Scarpa's well, they are the same company after all.

Are they? Don't they just sometimes have a working relationship?
In reply to Emma Armstrong: Thanks for your help guys

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...