UKC

Stripping and painting a bike frame

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Enty 29 Nov 2012
Anyone got any experience stripping and painting a bike frame?
I have an old Giant OCR (alu) in immaculate condition. It is quite light and with wide pear shaped tubes it looks quite good. Unfortunately it's the old yellow, red and grey Giant colours and looks very dated.

I also have some Mavic CXP30 deep section wheels. They are bombproof, with Ultegra hubs. Again unfortunately they are yellow so I'm looking to do those too.

Hoping to go for the matt black stealth look - should be a cool bike.

I want the cheapest way as it's just a hobby project for the winter - hopefully be a good bike for the Flanders Sportive in March.

Cheers,

E
Wonko The Sane 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty: Don't shot blast it. I did that once and spent a lot longer getting the 'orange peel' look out of the paint.

If you are going for the proper mat black stealth look, you may want to rethink it.
It is a total pain to upkeep. I looked into it for a car once and all the advice said it looks fantastic, so long as you don't take it out in any kind of weather.
Do not underestimate how hard it is to keep it looking good.
johnj 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:

Easiest job is find a good powder coater and let them dip it in a tank to strip it and then powder coat it, other than that paint stripper, etch primer, base coat, and Lacquer flatting back after each stage. I've spent days rubbing frames down, you can do a half decent job with rattle cans, not a very tough finish tho' but generally better to let good a painter do the rest.
In reply to johnj:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> Easiest job is find a good powder coater and let them dip it in a tank to strip it and then powder coat it, other than that paint stripper, etch primer, base coat, and Lacquer flatting back after each stage. I've spent days rubbing frames down, you can do a half decent job with rattle cans, not a very tough finish tho' but generally better to let good a painter do the rest.

Agreed. Can spray is very soft compared to having it done properly and baked.
In reply to Enty: If you do opt to do it yourself, one trick for flattening off is to apply the primer coat, then get a contrasting colour and give the primer coat a very light dusting so it's speckled. Then rub down with wet and dry until the speckles are all gone. This tells you you've got rid of all the peaks and troughs in the paint and it's flat.
 Tall Clare 29 Nov 2012
In reply to johnj:

A friend got a bike stripped and powder coated for under £30. She was very pleased with the result.
 rousse 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty: How cheap is cheap? We got a couple of frames/forks resprayed by Mercian, they were approx £120 each including shipping/adding transfers/headset fitting on one. Did a fantastic job, and worth paying a bit for.
OP Enty 29 Nov 2012
In reply to rousse:

What Clare said really - but I'm in France and wandering round and finding someone who actually wants to take money from me to do a job might be a problem.

E
OP Enty 29 Nov 2012
In reply to rousse:

Not worth a pro job - frames is probably only worth 30 quid.

E
OP Enty 29 Nov 2012
Anyone know the French translation for powder coating?

E
johnj 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

That's about average, powder coating has really come on over the last ten years, someone who knows what they are doing can produce results which are on a par with paint and is so much more hard wearing.
 quirky 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty: What Clare said, although i did shot blast my Fondriest frame and got it resprayed, just built the paint up..good finish. Dip and powder coat, if it was in Blighty i could get it done for you for next to nowt!
OP Enty 29 Nov 2012
In reply to quirky:
> , if it was in Blighty i could get it done for you for next to nowt!

Me too.

E
johnj 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty: Just box it up then and post to uk, cant be more than 15 to 20 quid
OP Enty 29 Nov 2012
In reply to johnj:
> (In reply to Enty) Just box it up then and post to uk, cant be more than 15 to 20 quid

Part of me wants to spend a bit of time in me shed

E
johnj 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:

Maybe you could powder coat it yourself then, get some old electric fires and build a small stove, volia!
 Horse 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:

Try "la peinture en poudre"
ezbee 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty: ey up- strip it with nitromors, and then polish it up. that will take ages in the shed!!!! rattle cans never give a really good finish and its allways soft and looks crap in no time.elliot
 Mike Mead 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:

> Part of me wants to spend a bit of time in me shed

In that case, Hammerite do matt black in a can. I used it to good effect on some handlebars recently, but couldn't comment on longevity. A whole bike might not work out too cheap compared to TC's 30 quid. The trick is many very thin coats.
 themuppet 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:
> Anyone know the French translation for powder coating?
>
> E

It is thermolaquage I think.
 Hat Dude 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:
> Anyone know the French translation for powder coating?
>
Joey Barton?

JSA 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:

Different grades of wet/dry paper and plenty of elbow grease!(You've got all winter to do it)

Can't comment on the painting.
 lost1977 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:

could be worth asking on the retrobike forum, some of the members are very knowledgeable in these things
 rousse 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty: Fair do, as you say, probably not worth it (although my other half's frame cost £35 on ebay - looks great now!). Good luck finding something.
 Reach>Talent 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:
Do not strip before painting your bike frame! The only thing worse than removing hammerite from your tackle is explaining to the wife how you did it
 PGD 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to johnj)
>
> A friend got a bike stripped and powder coated for under £30. She was very pleased with the result.

Where was this done? Seems a great price.

Tall Clare 29 Nov 2012
In reply to PGD:

Somewhere in Shipley, I believe. I'll find out!

subalpine 29 Nov 2012
In reply to ezbee:
> (In reply to Enty) ey up- strip it with nitromors, and then polish it up. that will take ages in the shed!!!! rattle cans never give a really good finish and its allways soft and looks crap in no time.elliot

yeah i learned the hard way- lots of effort for a crap finish that scratches easily. next time, i'd take to mr powdercoat
(Bettablast in newcastle did a great job with on a steel frame for 45 quid- about the same as my diy spraypaint attempt)

JLS 29 Nov 2012
In reply to subalpine:

I understand it's difficult to mask threads etc. for the powder coating process.

The OP should be prepared to re-tap-out the B/B threads and do a bit of work with a file to get the seat-pin back in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...