UKC

El Chorro Accomodation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 London Luke 01 Dec 2012
Hey everyone,

Heading to El Chorro in January for 3 weeks, just debating the accomodation options.......thinking about camping or staying in a refugio. We don't have a car so needs to be walkable to a decent amount of crags....

Any recommendations ? I want to go somewhere social, so wondering if camping is the best option , Suirana campsite was amazing for that sort of thing .....not bothered about the weather etc, just in general want to be where a good bunch of climbers are !!

Cheers

Luke
OP London Luke 01 Dec 2012
In reply to luke1986: oh and any recommend first time 7c's that anyone can recomment ?
 Ciro 01 Dec 2012
In reply to luke1986:

The Olive Branch should fit your bill - has a crag at the end of the drive, easy walking to the main climbing areas, and you can camp there but still have the use of kitchen/dining/chillout space.

It's always been very sociable when I've been there (Gary and Mel go out of their way to make sure it stays that way) and if you're car-less you can get the train to Alora, do a shop at the supermarket (there's a tiny shop in El Chorro, does all the basics to keep you alive but not much variety), and arrange for Gary to pick you up there for a small fee.

http://www.olivebranchelchorro.co.uk/
 Ciro 01 Dec 2012
In reply to Ciro:

Oh, and this rather nice line seemed a pretty soft touch for 7c - it almost went for my first one, six months before I actually ticked one:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=112581
 Kevster 01 Dec 2012
In reply to luke1986:

I'm sure othrs will give a good list, some folk have recomended on the recent fitclub thread for high 7's at Chorro.
I tried eye of the storm at Poema roca cave last year, if you are an overhang fiend..
Though I think a few goes on Honk down are also on the books this year.
 krasavenko 01 Dec 2012
In reply to luke1986: defo recommend Olive Branch! Been there a few times and will happily go again
 biscuit 01 Dec 2012
In reply to luke1986:

refugios are very rough and ready and often noisy, not good for getting a decent kip.

Camping can be very cold. Below freezing here last night, though we are 500m higher, and freezing North wind blowing through all day.
 jules699 01 Dec 2012
In reply to luke1986: Olive branch! Olive branch! Olive branch!
OP London Luke 02 Dec 2012
In reply to jules699: thanks guys ! Think I will go for the olive branch , got a nice down sleeping bag so should be warm enough !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...