/ El Chorro Accomodation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
London Luke - on 01 Dec 2012
Hey everyone,

Heading to El Chorro in January for 3 weeks, just debating the accomodation options.......thinking about camping or staying in a refugio. We don't have a car so needs to be walkable to a decent amount of crags....

Any recommendations ? I want to go somewhere social, so wondering if camping is the best option , Suirana campsite was amazing for that sort of thing .....not bothered about the weather etc, just in general want to be where a good bunch of climbers are !!

Cheers

Luke
London Luke - on 01 Dec 2012
In reply to luke1986: oh and any recommend first time 7c's that anyone can recomment ?
Ciro - on 01 Dec 2012
In reply to luke1986:

The Olive Branch should fit your bill - has a crag at the end of the drive, easy walking to the main climbing areas, and you can camp there but still have the use of kitchen/dining/chillout space.

It's always been very sociable when I've been there (Gary and Mel go out of their way to make sure it stays that way) and if you're car-less you can get the train to Alora, do a shop at the supermarket (there's a tiny shop in El Chorro, does all the basics to keep you alive but not much variety), and arrange for Gary to pick you up there for a small fee.

http://www.olivebranchelchorro.co.uk/
Ciro - on 01 Dec 2012
In reply to Ciro:

Oh, and this rather nice line seemed a pretty soft touch for 7c - it almost went for my first one, six months before I actually ticked one:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=112581
Kevster - on 01 Dec 2012
In reply to luke1986:

I'm sure othrs will give a good list, some folk have recomended on the recent fitclub thread for high 7's at Chorro.
I tried eye of the storm at Poema roca cave last year, if you are an overhang fiend..
Though I think a few goes on Honk down are also on the books this year.
krasavenko - on 01 Dec 2012
In reply to luke1986: defo recommend Olive Branch! Been there a few times and will happily go again
biscuit - on 01 Dec 2012
In reply to luke1986:

refugios are very rough and ready and often noisy, not good for getting a decent kip.

Camping can be very cold. Below freezing here last night, though we are 500m higher, and freezing North wind blowing through all day.
jules699 - on 01 Dec 2012
In reply to luke1986: Olive branch! Olive branch! Olive branch!
ads.ukclimbing.com
London Luke - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to jules699: thanks guys ! Think I will go for the olive branch , got a nice down sleeping bag so should be warm enough !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.