UKC

Mammut Ride RAS Airbag system

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SiWood 04 Dec 2012
My better half would like me to keep safe this winter (possibly so I can be around contribute to that new conservatory next spring !). She has offered to buy me an avalanche airbag system (no truer sign of true love eh!).

These are becoming increasingly popular in the alps and as I have become very avalanche aware in the last couple of seasons (cough!), I think they are a good idea when added to all other safety measure (prevention, transciever training etc)

Looking at around at the various models available the Mammut Ride RAS seems newish on the market. Does anyone have any experience of this model? I assume it is very similar to the ABS and BCA models.

Was thinking of something just for backcountry day use.

Also if I purchase in UK I assume the canisters cannot be taken on the plane even in hold luggage. Is it normal to rent a gas canister or purchase one when in the alps?
Shearwater 04 Dec 2012
In reply to SiWood:
Read this thread, lots of useful stuff: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/232272-Mammut-RAS-airbags

And as regards air travel, read this: http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/...

If you're intending to buy more than one bag (say, a little one for lifts and a big one for huts) they're well worth it. If you're just after one big bag, the RAS Pro bags are probably some of the best 35-45l airbags on the market. If you're only after a single smaller bag, I'd consider looking elsewhere... the snowpulse airbag design looks much nicer to me.

You can take gas bottles on planes (IATA rules allow it, for example), but you'll need to be prepared ahead of time and getting written approval from the airline can make your life much less stressful cos the staff on the ground don't always know the rules.
 Blinder 04 Dec 2012
In reply to SiWood: in coming tangent.
We should get out sometime this winter on the planks. Will be around the Saas area lots go give me a shout.
 RichardB 05 Dec 2012
A friend has one of these - what do you want to know?

The pack is very well put together and well though out with regard to features. Weight wise its pretty good for a pack of this type. The fit is good (that might depend on you) and they hardly notice it skiing. There;s a good review on the wildsnow website.

Rich

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...