UKC

Snowdon Horseshoe Monday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ciderslider 05 Dec 2012
Going up to North Wales on Sun and gonna do the horseshoe (hopefully) and Tryfan and Glyders.
Couple of questions - whats the campsite at Gwern Gof Uchaf like ? What's the grub like at Pete's Eats ???? Does the bar at Plas y Brenin serve food and drink to non residents ???
Are there any iconic climbers/walkers pubs that I should drink at ???
Also have done the horseshoe before (a long time ago in summer conditions) but not the Crib Goch bit - Looking at photos it looks like a bit of an exposed ridge walk with no major issues.
Any answers and advice please
 Pj84 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Ciderslider: gwern gof uchaf is basic but ok. petes eats food is brilliant. plas y brenin, not sure bout food but have been in there for a pint as a non resident. also try the pen y grwyd hotel..

adam.
 Run_Ross_Run 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Ciderslider:

You got all the gear?

Crampons, axe, boots, clothing etc, and know how to use it safely?

If you have, you'll love it.
OP Ciderslider 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Pj84: Thanks Adam
OP Ciderslider 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Darren09: I certainly have mate and know how to use it all safely ( although I'm not so sure about that Ciderspider monkey who's coming with me )

Thanks
 The Ivanator 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Ciderslider: The basic campsite by the Bryn Trych Hotel puts you within easy staggering distance of the hotel bar and meals (good but pricey for North Wales - think home counties gastro pub prices). Pete's cheap and filling, food variable. Best breakfasts to be had at Bryn Glo B & B/Cafe as you enter Capel, not certain if it is open this time of year. PYB good for a drink, not sure about food. Iconic pubs would be the Pen y Gwryd Hotel at the foot of the pass (old school with Everest memorabilia) and the Vaynol Arms in Nant Peris (haunt of the slate head climbing bums of the 80s), bit run down when I last dropped in a few years back.
As others have said you'll want winter gear for Crib Goch and avoid it in high winds. It is a fair bit more challenging than the rest of the horseshoe, the start of the ascent from the col on the Pyg track up to the ridge can be tricky and it is easy to miss the best line, you will be fine though, enjoy.
OP Ciderslider 06 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ivanator: Cheers mate
Rigid Raider 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Ciderslider:

Pete's Eats is getting pretty poor reviews on Tripadvisor nowadays. Seems they've lost the plot.
In reply to Ciderslider: This Route Card might be useful: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=70
In reply to Rigid Raider: Pete's is indeed crap. much better food in the heights for not much more. I wouldn't camp in Ogwen if you plan to do the horse shoe - camp in Nant Peris opposite the Vaynol Arms (£4 pppn) basic but cheap and a lot closer to PyP and you can get the bus from there too rather than parking in the PyP CP at £10 per car!
Bimbler 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Rigid Raider:

In fairness some of those reviews are from people who object to not having waitress service or have to ring a bell or queue... Whilst I'm sure they may have their problems at times I've always found it ok when I visit- once or twice a month.
 BusyLizzie 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Ciderslider: PyB does food in the bar. I liked the beer when I was there
 jezb1 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Ciderslider: Hey Mark, looks like you've got all the answers you need!

You'll be fine on Crib Goch although I was out on the Glyders today and it was mega windy so keep an eye on the weather.

The Caban just outside Llanberis is nicer than Pete's, but Pete's is Pete's!

I'd be more inclined to stay down in Dol Gam just so you can walk to the pub where the foods usually good.

Have fun
 KellyKettle 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Ciderslider: PYB serves bar meals in the evening, and a limited lunch menu; though I think they have a specific function on tomorrow.
 mrchewy 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Ciderslider: The Moel Siabod cafe in Capel Curig is the best by far these days - proper coffee, decent sausages and homemade cake. The Bryn Glo is shut during the winter. The Tyn-Y-Coed pub has decent grub and is well used by people staying at Brenin. Arthurs Campsite down the road (Dol Gam) is flat and has amazing showers but no electric.
I'd be either staying in Capel for the two pubs, one hotel bar, two cafes, Plas Y Brenin and Joe Brown's or Nant Peris with just the one pub but a feeling of being in the mountains.

The Pen Y Ghent hotel was closed a week or so back when I was there as building work was going on.
 jezb1 08 Dec 2012
In reply to mrchewy: Siabod cafe is a good shout, forgot about that. It seems to be doing well and hopefully means less people going to the cafe with grumpy staff up the road!
OP Ciderslider 08 Dec 2012
In reply to jezb1: Cheers Jez, really looking forward to it now. Wanna do the Horseshoe on Monday as the weather is looking good. Gonna forgo a cooked breakfast in order to get on the trail at first light, thus taking advantage of daylight (then can have a well earned fry/few beers afterwards).
It looks as though the small amount of snow that was on the tops has now gone, although the forecast for Mon is cold and clear - perfect.
Hopefully Tryfan and Glyders on tues - whoooohooo !!!!!!
OP Ciderslider 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Ciderslider: Thanks everyone for all your advice
 RichardP 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Ciderslider:
> (In reply to Ciderslider) Thanks everyone for all your advice

Let us know how you get on, and what it's like up there on Monday.

I'm thinking of having a stroll up there or the Glidders next weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...