UKC

Bubble in compass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 07 Dec 2012
Hmm, puzzled.
Last weekend on using my back up compass I noticed a bubble in it. Since then I bought another compass. Both Silva.

Now the bubble has gone from the first compass! How does that happen? Will the bubble return!
 Andrew Bangs 07 Dec 2012
If only you could calibrate those bubbles you'd have a thermometer/barometer/altimeter all in one.
 dan bulman 07 Dec 2012
could it be air pressure?
 Padraig 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

I have had this and Silva say if the bubble is small (below 1/4" iirc) it's ok. It's due to atmospheric or temperature changes. Having said that, I always carry a spare compass after once leaving mine sitting on a rock on Skye!
OP Flinticus 07 Dec 2012
Thanks guys. This was my spare compass (my main compass had become 'lost' in my pack (didn't find it until unpacking the next day).
 gethin_allen 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus:
I've had similar issues with silva compasses, again, I had two with me and both had the same problem.
I was also told by silva that it was due to atmospheric pressure and temperature. This would seem to make sense as the bubbles only appear on very cold clear days.
 Jenny C 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus:
I noticed last weekend for the first time that my Suunto compass has a (very) small bubble - it's around 15 yrs old.

My original compass (inherited off my Dad) had a big bubble and TBH so long as you jiggled it so the needle wasn't resting on the bubble there was no problem with reliability/accuracy
 Bruce Hooker 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

Someone told me the bubble was quite normal, that it allowed for expansion or contraction as temperature changed and avoids the compass bursting - gas being compressible but not liquid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...