UKC

Comfortable helmet with good coverage for the larger head?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 11 Dec 2012
My head is 61cm. Most helmets I try on end up looking like a yarmulke.

Does anyone else so afflicted have any good suggestions?
In reply to neuromancer:

There were some good suggestions on a recent thread:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=530799
 ripper 11 Dec 2012
In reply to neuromancer: all helmets look stupid, just accept it. My Grivel Salamander fits my big ol' bonce ok tho.
 oaktree 11 Dec 2012
In reply to neuromancer: try this item number on ebay 390508032802,fits my big 62" head + light
OP neuromancer 12 Dec 2012
In reply to ripper:

Thanks ripper, it's less of a fashion statement worry, more that a tiny skull-cap is less likely to save me if I take a tumble onto my bonce. Which, given my record recently is not out of the question!
 kestrelspl 12 Dec 2012
In reply to neuromancer: my head is 62cm and my wild country 360 fits me well.
 Denni 12 Dec 2012
In reply to kestreslspl:

I have a fairly biggish head and I use a Salamander XL;

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Rock-Climbing-Equipment/Helmets/Helme...
 thedatastream 12 Dec 2012
I've got a big head and a Petzl Elios is the least stupid looking and most comfortable helmet that I tried on.
 martinph78 12 Dec 2012
In reply to thedatastream: I recommend the Elios as well. I think it fits very well and I have a large head. Also comfortable, and works well with a polartec hat under it in the winter.
 ripper 12 Dec 2012
In reply to neuromancer: Salamander does come a bit lower down at the back than most designs as it's not a straightforward puddin' bowl shape, which I quite like. No substitute for trying on as many different ones as you can though...
Also, worth reading the recent gear review on hardshell and foam helmets, iirc the foam ones can perform better if the main worry is you falling, as they're generally better for a side impact, whereas hardshells are more geared for an impact on the top (ie. falling rock, gear, partner etc). Don't take that as gospel though, seek out the actual article.
 iksander 12 Dec 2012
In reply to neuromancer: Are you a "Frankenstein" or a "baloon head"? I've got quite square edges on my head (my poor mum) and found a salamander XL no good, Petzl Altios for me - with the netting bit removed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...