UKC

How to get around Chamonix in Easter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 w-watson 22 Dec 2012
Hello,

Myself and a friend are planing on heading to Chamonix this Easter. We both are decent ice climbers and summer alpinists. I was wondering what is the best way to get to the base of the climbs. Do we need snow shoes or skies to get around. If we need skies what type?

Regards,
Will.
 LucaC 22 Dec 2012
In reply to w-watson: Depends on the weather and where you want to climb. At Easter this year, it was possible to get to routes on the triangle by foot, having skis didn't really speed things up much.

If there is more snow, or you have a long uphill distance to travel, snow shoes or skis will be preferable to breaking trail on foot.

If you are not a good skier, the best option is probably snow shoes.

If you go for skis, a light touring ski with skins is what you want. You can then climb in ski boots absolutely fine. Ignore short 'approach skis' which take B3 boots. Unless you are a really good skier you will find them impossible to control, and they won't make good skis to learn on. Leave skis at the base of the route and rap back down to collect and ski out, or carry up the climb and ski down (obviously route dependent). You can hire ski gear or snow shoes in the valley.
 Kimberley 22 Dec 2012
In reply to w-watson:

Skis not skies
OP w-watson 23 Dec 2012
In reply to LJC: Really helpful, thank you.
 LucaC 23 Dec 2012
In reply to w-watson: Send me a PM if you want any more info (without pointless sarky comments regarding spelling).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...