UKC

Alcohol Abstinence prior to Kilimanjaro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Pete.Langdown 23 Dec 2012
As a 2013 present to ourselves, five of us are trekking the Rongai route next month.

A friend has suggested he read somewhere that we have to stop drinking a month prior to leaving, which will clearly mean a not so merry Christmas!

Obviously the merits of avoiding the sauce while at altitude are clear, but does this have much of a bearing one month before?

I've researched a fair bit, but can't find anything to suggest I should stop so far in advance.

Any thoughts?

lost1977 23 Dec 2012
In reply to Pete.Langdown:

your mate is talking shit
 Blunderbuss 23 Dec 2012

Your mate is winding you up.
Removed User 23 Dec 2012

I recall that Don Whillans was once asked when he gave up drinking before going on a Himalayan expedition. He replied that he stopped drinking when he left the last pub on the route to the mountain.

Gibson 23 Dec 2012

I had 5 pints at Kenya beforehand. Made the top but felt like jobby.
 Jamie B 23 Dec 2012
In reply to Removed User:

And Whillans was a noted powerhouse at altitude. Conventional fitness is certainly important for the OP, and that may mean tapering off the alchohol consumption, but at altitude drive and determintion, plus a certain element of luck seem like they will be just as important.
 shantaram 23 Dec 2012
In reply to Pete.Langdown: I've never heard that one before and I've spent a lot of time at 4000M+ and summited Kili around 10 times. Your mate is either pulling your leg or misinformed. Enjoy yourself this Xmas and New Year, but make sure you keep a good level of fitness, as summit day on Kili is a long one and will be more enjoyable if you are hill fit.
 nw 23 Dec 2012
Bollox aye.
Pete.Langdown 23 Dec 2012
Winner.

I have no idea where he read it.

What a shame, off to the pub I go!

Cheers

Gav Parker 23 Dec 2012

Ive topped out twice on Kili.....you need to be hill fit as mentioned....so enjoy your xmas!!
The first time up I struggled it was a long night.....so got fitter the second time and was a lot easier....but its a big peak!!
Enjoy........
 hokkyokusei 24 Dec 2012
> A friend has suggested he read somewhere that we have to stop drinking a month prior to leaving, which will clearly mean a not so merry Christmas!

<snip>

> Any thoughts?

As other people have said, he's talking rubbish, but do remember that it's crucial to refrain from sex or your bollocks will explode.

What would Norrie Muir have made of this I wonder?

lazzaw 24 Dec 2012
In reply to hokkyokusei:
> remember that it's crucial to refrain from sex or your bollocks will explode.

Aren't you better to empty them out regularly to reduce the pressure? Not necessarily on the summit though.
 Ridge 24 Dec 2012
Drinking 10 pints a night and smoking 40 fags a day would be excellent for acclimatisation. Get used to walking with a minging hangover and being short of breath and you'll feel at home at altitude.
redsonja 26 Dec 2012
In reply to Pete.Langdown: why will you not have a merry christmas if you dont drink alcohol? i hate the stuff and never touch it- had a lovely christmas!!
 Rich W Parker 26 Dec 2012

Don't worry about all that abstinence, I reckon you've sussed that by now though.

Kili does have a grim reputation for altitude illness though, mainly because the government used to tax individuals per day on the mountain, so trekking companies rushed the acclimatisation process.

I know it's easier said than done! But Hydrate like madmen and eat as much as you can.

Have a splendid trip. Watch out for lions
In reply to Murko Fuzz: When I lived in kenya, there used to be an 8% beer on sale in Tanzania, called 'the kick' which guaranteed on the adverts no hangover.
maybe best off sticking to that eh? There was a whiskey like substance sold in sachets which made similar claims

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...