UKC

North Devon or Peaks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack_F 27 Dec 2012
Pretty keen to hit either or this weekend from Friday but don't want to get there and find it's piss wet. Anyone got any clue if any of its dry or going to be

Cheers
 WJV0912 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Jack_F:

xcweather.co.uk

Don't bother coming to the Peak for a while, it's pissed it down for the last week and more forecast.
 GridNorth 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Jack_F: It's The Peak not Peaks. It's reputedly named after a tribe of people who lived in the area rather than a group of summits as many people seem to think.
OP Jack_F 27 Dec 2012
In reply to WJV0912: Cheers for the heads up!
OP Jack_F 27 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth: Thanks for answering my question...
 GridNorth 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Jack_F: I may not have answered your question but now you know something that you didn't know before and all you can offer is sarcasm. Sheesh.
 Denni 27 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth:
> (In reply to Jack_F) It's The Peak not Peaks. It's reputedly named after a tribe of people who lived in the area rather than a group of summits as many people seem to think.

Al will be happy now that there are 2 of you!
 Mark Kemball 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Jack_F: Lots of rain down here in North Cornwall, I'd not bother travelling far to the area, but you might be able to grab some routes on crags without seepage - eg Lower Sharpnose, if you catch a gap between showers.
OP Jack_F 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Mark Kemball: Cheers Mark, I doubt we'll chance it now to be honest this bladdy weather just isn't worth risking! Might see if (providing the wind picks up) If the moor dries out at all.
 adstapleton 28 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth:

What were this tribe, the Peak named after?

Chicken and the egg my friend.

PS. You do realise that you are a pedantic tw*t, right?
 GridNorth 28 Dec 2012
In reply to adstapleton: That's very offensive for just trying to pass on knowledge. I'm fairly new to this forum but if this is typical of the level of debate I won't be on it much longer. You wouldn't say that to my face so why do you feel that you can do so on this forum?
 adstapleton 28 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth:

Pedantic and unhelpful.
 GridNorth 28 Dec 2012
In reply to adstapleton: How can it be unhelpful to learn something that you did not know before? I don't mind you saying I'm being pedantic, that's a perfectly valid opinion but calling me an abusive name is just cowardly bullying.
In reply to GridNorth and adstapleton:

You could bury the hatchet over a pint in Castleton:

http://www.peaksinn.com/
 Chris the Tall 28 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth:
> (In reply to Jack_F) It's The Peak not Peaks. It's reputedly named after a tribe of people who lived in the area rather than a group of summits as many people seem to think.

Yes we all know that, but that doesn't mean anything ? So its The Pict District, or the District of the Picts. Either Peaks or Peak is an abbreviation of a corruption, so to say that one is right and the other wrong is nonsense. Furthermore you'll find many natives call it the Peaks.

In comparison, I am quite grateful to whoever pointed out to me that it was Gower and never The Gower Peninsula, since Gower is welsh for peninsula and therefore The Gower Peninsula is a tautology and obviously incorrect.

See also - Stanage Edge, Burbage Edge, Pendle Hill, Sierra Nevada mountains and the mythical Torpenhow Hill

And anyway it's pissing down in the Peak(s)
 GridNorth 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Chris the Tall: In that case I stand corrected, if not totally convinced.
 Mark Kemball 28 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth: It is traditional on this forum, for a correction to come in whenever anyone says "Peaks", well done for continuing Al Evan's noble tradition!
 deepsoup 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> Furthermore you'll find many natives call it the Peaks.

And they are to be pitied. ;O)

Had UCK existed in another era, people might have been similarly sniffy whenever someone referred to Stanage rather than Stanedge. Names, like language generally, change over time.

"Peaks" still grates though. My first impulse when I saw the thread title was to ask the OP where is this "Peaks" of which he speaks.
 deepsoup 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Mark Kemball:
A noble tradition indeed. Like turning around three times and spitting whenever someone mentions the name of the dreaded milk snatcher.
 GridNorth 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Jack_F: I lived in and around Sheffield for over 30 years and never heard it called the Peaks by either climbers or locals.
 deepsoup 28 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth:
I hear it all the time from proper locals, incomers like me & you and tourists alike. Your friends and acquaintances are obviously better educated than mine. ;O)
 The Pylon King 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Jack_F:

The Pembrokes was dry yesterday.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth:
> (In reply to Jack_F) I lived in and around Sheffield for over 30 years and never heard it called the Peaks by either climbers or locals.

I have climbed in the area for 44 years and also never heard a local call it the Peaks.

(It always amuses me that people get wound up here when have their spelling etc corrected - if it bothers you, try and get it right 1st time.)

Chris

Chris the Tall 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:
> (In reply to Jack_F)
>
> The Pembrokes was dry yesterday.

My wife gets annoyed when I refer to the area around St Davids as North Pembroke, she argues that Pembroke is a town and the area is North Pembrokeshire

I just ignore her

OP Jack_F 28 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth: Well I'm not really A climber or local therefore I think I'll take the benefit of the doubt
Wonko The Sane 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Jack_F: Well, you learn something every day.
I've always thought it was 'the peak's'
 MJ 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Mark Kemball:

It is traditional on this forum, for a correction to come in whenever anyone says "Peaks", well done for continuing Al Evan's noble tradition!

This video explains everything: -

http://tinyurl.com/22nh7kr
 tomrainbow 29 Dec 2012
In reply to MJ: Well... I have learnt a lot from reading this thread...but mainly about how internet forums work (note, overuse of ellipsises - probably misspelt - you can get me on punctuation and/or spelling...(there's another one (oh no, now I have nested parentheses)) two for the price of one).
 adstapleton 29 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth:

I would say it to your face.
 GridNorth 29 Dec 2012
In reply to adstapleton: Then that just demonstrates how unpleasant a person you are.
 The Pylon King 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Jack_F:

The Peak District.

easy and accurate.

Bulls Crack 29 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth:

I think you'll find it's the Devons' actually
 cuppatea 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:

The Janners?
 Mark Kemball 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack: The apostrophe police will be after you, take care!
 Cheese Monkey 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Jack_F: The culm really dries fast at Vicarage and most of the fin type slabs I would imagine. 15 minutes after heavy rain and heavy seas I was climbing Severe, then HS, then HVS with no damp issues. Get on it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...