Starting Out forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Alps Advice

dnyc - on 07 Jan 2013
I'm going to the (Swiss) Alps for the first time on an intro to alpinism course. I've spent a lot of time in the mountains, winter and summer, but only in and around the UK.

I don't use approach shoes and I've never really felt like I've needed to. But getting some good approach shoes for the walk ins in the Alps has been recommended to me.

Carrying a second pair of shoes (sometimes third with climbing shoes) seems like a faff in regards to carrying, packing and swapping them? I've seen people walking to and from the CIC hut with there boots hanging on their rucksacks but I'm not a big fan of having anything flapping around on my rucksack.

Does anyone use approach shoes regularly? And if so could you make any recommendations to the following:

- Do you have a system for them e.g. carrying them, swapping them over to your boots etc

I've also been thinking about dropping down from a B3 to a B2 boot to make it easer on my feet for long treks in. Any thoughts on that?

Is there a boot that is hard enough to take crampons, suitable for basic alpinism, but is also soft enough not to chew up your feet on long hikes up to the mountains?
... not showing 3 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums