UKC

Microwaving rock shoes to eliminate pong?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 doug5_10 15 Jan 2013
Anybody tried this (or the freezer?) and had any success in reducing eau de cheesy feet? Have an old pair of anasazis that are basically a worn out warm up/bumble shoe but are absolutely stinking. In past experience after washing machine-ing, the pong returns after a couple of weeks.

Ta
 mrbird 15 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10: I put mines in the oven for 40 minutes at 180 degrees with a tablespoon of oil in each one. Works a treat...
 mrbird 15 Jan 2013
In reply to mrbird: Olive oil*
 Ava Adore 15 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10:

If this does work they should install microwaves for this purpose at indoor walls. To warm shoes up first.
 The Lemming 15 Jan 2013
In reply to mrbird:
> (In reply to doug5_10) I put mines in the oven for 40 minutes at 180 degrees with a tablespoon of oil in each one. Works a treat...

What other ingredients do you include?

One alternative is to get some odor and bacteria killing spray from the chemist. Even lynx will help, a bit with the added bonus that women will fall at your feet. Well you will be at a wall and this statement is 100% true.
 jkarran 15 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10:

Warm water + Bleach + Brush
jk
 The Lemming 15 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10:

You could just live with the smell?
 Puppythedog 15 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10: Put them out overnight whilst it's properly cold. The cold retards the bacteria I think. Used to work with my trainers. my climbing shoes don't seem too awful so not felt the need. (plus they'd be nicked where I live.
Freezer in a bag might do too.
 mrbird 15 Jan 2013
In reply to The Lemming: A couple of slices of pineapple and a sprinkle of cinnamon give it a nice touch.
 nbonnett 15 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10:

Cat Litter , best rock shoe/running shoe deodorizer there is on the planet.

So much so my other half's talking about sewing cat litter into my grundies for when i have my daily guff.
 Howardw1968 15 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10:
I put Bananas in mine
 Reach>Talent 15 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10:
Embrace the smell, I can find my Anasazi VCS in the dark by smell alone. Very useful!

alooker 15 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10: boot bananas saved my old Anasazis from the brink. They don't smell great but you can be in the same room now at least. BB's work best from new but I've bad some success with already smelly ones
 ti_pin_man 15 Jan 2013
in the oven? dont they melt? or catch fire?

So far I've used tea tree oil between washes which helps a little, but now hang mine outside but covered so they wont get drenched if it rains.
 Camm 15 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10:
I put mine in the washing machine, worked a treat but they shrunk a bit, not sure if it's effected performance as I don't climb hard enough anyway
 ledifer 15 Jan 2013
In reply to danrock101:

another vote for grow to love the smell.

Some climbing walls have a device that looks similar to a microwave but fires silver at the shoes which sterilises them.
 martinph78 15 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10: Why do my climbing shoes stink yet my running shoes, hiking boots, trainers etc don't?

One of life's mysteries...
 lost1977 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

do you wear socks in your other shoes ?
 iksander 15 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10: anti bacterial alcohol handwash stuff
 neuromancer 15 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10:

Leave them outside the bag on a carabiner, and dry them out when home. Occasionally wash them in hot water mixed with dettol to kill bacteria.
needvert 15 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10:

If I don't air mine out after climbing, they smell bad.

I've tried hand washing, but that was too much work. The washing machine [I remove the laces] does a good job.

As for keeping the smell away in the first place, I have good success with foot powders designed for this purpose. They work really well.

Once as a kid I used this stuff, http://www.grans-remedies.co.nz/ , for about a week or a month, entirely solved my smelly feet for ages [years].

Can't find it in stores where I am, but I found a similar powder. Regularly powder my shoes and it works fine. Doesn't have that long lasting effect grans had though.

mikekeswick 16 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10: Err I just wash mine
Rigid Raider 16 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10:

If your shoes smell you have probably got athlete's foot.

Use Canestan cream (the thrush version has 2% active rather than the athlete's foot version at 1%) and wash and dry daily. Get a fungicidal spray and treat ALL your shoes at least three times at one week intervals. Make sure you dry shoes properly after wearing, including removing the insoles.
 nbonnett 16 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10:

I'm serious about this use of cat litter , its designed as a deodorizer , when you pour the cat litter out just use the vac on the hoover to remove any residual dust.

It was super scrimpers on channel 4 about 6 months ago ( old gits saving money should have been the title )
 Morgan P 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Rigid Raider: Haha nice try troll!

I found that just getting really hot water with some washing powder in a sink, let them soak for a few hours then empty and repeat. After about 3 times the worse was gone. Little effort too!
Ian Black 16 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10: bicarbonate of soda definitely works. Air the shoes after use then put some BS on the inside. Works a treat!!!
 neuromancer 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Ian Black:

Which never really fully comes out, and turns to mush next time you wear them?
 adsheff 16 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10:
Put a squirt of talc in them after every use. If you wear tiny socks when climbing, the sweat goes into the sock rather than soaking into the shoe. Added bonus of slightly warmer toes in winter. Added bonus of not getting rubbing sore bits on your feet.
 homing-penguin 16 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10: Wash them in washing up liquid and then soak them in febreeze. If the weather is nice leave them on the line for a while.

I think another strategy to try is having two pairs

jonnie3430 16 Jan 2013
In reply to adsheff:
> (In reply to doug5_10)
> Put a squirt of talc in them after every use.

Another shout for talc or foot powder.

martinph78 16 Jan 2013
In reply to lost1977:
> (In reply to Martin1978)
>
> do you wear socks in your other shoes ?

Good point, yeah, I do. I sometimes wear socks in my rock shoes as well, if it's cold, but not often.

nealh 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Martin1978: sounds like you'd be better off microwaving your feet, go for cause not symptom
 martinph78 16 Jan 2013
In reply to nealh: Maybe instead of a bolt fund the BMC could look towards installing microwaves at crags for climbers with cold and/or stinky feet? :p
 henwardian 16 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10: The smell is made by bacteria so basically anything that kills bacteria will help. Most of the things mentioned so far should be effective at killing bacteria:
heating
using acids (e.g. vinegar)
using alkali (e.g. baking soda)
cytotoxic substances - e.g. silver, alcohol

Freezing them might kill some bacteria but I'd guess it's the least useful way mentioned.

You can also stop the bacterial buildup to begin with by:
- Removing shoes between climbs to allow them to air and reduce moisture in them.
- drying shoes immediately after use on radiator or similar, rather than throwing them in a sack and leaving them in a constricted space with no air movement.
- keeping your feet cleaner, there are a bizillion ways to do that here: http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Foot-Odor

Personally I just go with not caring very much ;D
cb294 16 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10:

Wash them at 60°C but add a tablespoon of washing powder into each shoe beforehand.

CB
Ian Black 16 Jan 2013
In reply to neuromancer:
> (In reply to Ian Black)
>
> Which never really fully comes out, and turns to mush next time you wear them?

If you don't use a bit of common savvy then of course. You only have to use it sparingly and make sure your shoes are dry. Been using it for 10 years and never known it turning to 'mush'. Then again if you are extremely smelly you may need to use a lot more BS...
 Boogs 16 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10:

If all of the above fails I can recommend this stuff here ; http://sureair.eu.ukwsp1.com/max/

do read the label though !

personally I take my rock shoes off as much as poss but if and when they do get a bit pungy I give em a sponging with a diluted bleach and lemon juice solution let them dry in the sun and they seem to be fine !

The cat litter idea seems like a good one as well .
 deepsoup 16 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10:
This might be a bit heretical, but you know you can actually wear socks in climbing shoes. :O) (Especially baggy old ones that you wear for warming up and bumbling about.)
 mikehike 16 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10:
I take a couple of small sheep with me in my bag, slip them into my shoes after each wall session.
 torquil 16 Jan 2013
In reply to doug5_10:

as said above its the bacteria in shoes that makes them smell - washing helps but anti bacterial spray is a good cheap simple solution.

I recently bought a Klenz machine (www.klenzeurope.com) and put all the shoes I get for resoling through that before I do them (www.llanberisresoles.com) - It seems to work well, although I had to put a really bad pair of evolvs through twice.

needvert 17 Jan 2013
In reply to torquil:

Hmm, interesting. Sterishoe seems another option with a lot of good reviews

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...