UKC

Venice Marco Polo to Dolomites vs Venice Treviso

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Sansum 18 Jan 2013
I'm planning a trip to the Dolomites in the summer.

The Ryanair flights to and from Treviso are at much less convenient times than the Easyjet ones to Marco Polo. Is there any major drawback to flying into Marco Polo? Guess it is a bit further away. Do the roads between there and Treviso get clogged up much?
 ryan_d 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Chris Sansum: Roads wise its much of a muchness. We went that way two years ago when going up to cortina. Only takes about an hour or so up to the dolomites. Last year we flew easyjet to Munich and drove from there. Car hire much cheaper in Germany. 4.5 hours from munich to cortina with a 40 minute break in innsbruck for lunch and a much more pleasant drive.

I also avoid using ryanair if i can.....absolutely hate them.

Enjoy, its a great area.

Ryan
 MHutch 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Chris Sansum:

Really not a long drive up into the Dollies from Marco Polo - we did it this summer, took a couple of hours.

Car hire was simple enough and a couple of hundred yards from the main terminal. Roads were fine, 2 mins out onto dual carriageway. You don't have to go anywhere near the busy bit around Venice itself. If you need a stopover hotel relatively near the airport, we used this one in Marcon, which was v good.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1024750-d609804-Reviews-Antony_P...
 Chris the Tall 19 Jan 2013
Things have probably improved now, but a few years ago there was very limited choice of car hire firms at Treviso. I didn't think there was much of a time saving, and it was a really dull place to spend a couple of hours waiting for a flight.

But most of all, don't fly Ryanair. Vote with your wallet and don't endorse their policies and practices.

As for the drive up to the dollies, it's pretty straightforward but watch out for Italians in German cars - a terrible combination!
 Null 19 Jan 2013
> I'm planning a trip to the Dolomites in the summer.
>
> Do the roads between there and Treviso get clogged up much?

Sometimes yes, like at rush hour (about 7:00 to 8:30 and 18:00 to 19:30) and Sunday evenings in Summer, or on particular days like August 15 or the end or start of "long weekends".

So be careful for the return flight to leave yourselves plenty of time margin.

They recently improved the motorway link from Marco Polo to Verona (previously it was poor) which continues up to Trento/Bolzano giving easy access to the Brenta Dolomites to the W and Catinaccio and Odle to the E, not to mention the Sarca Valley (Arco), which is where everybody ends up when there are storms in the mountains. However, if you want the eastern Dolls then you had better go up the other way.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...