Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Military bergen as a rucksack

readysalted - on 22 Jan 2013
Hi there,

I have had several rucksacks by coleman, regatta, vango, lowe alpine, and the north face. Most are good (with the exception of the coleman one which was shit). I've also had an olive green PLCE ex army bergen for about the last 10 years. I'm in the military and am fairly accustomed to carrying these so always find them quite comfy, but I was looking for a decent 50+ ltr rucksack, and was liking crux rucksacks. I am a fan of their simplicity, apparent quality, and the fact they dont have a million seperate pockets, they're just one sack, and a lid. Anyway they seemed expensive for what they are, and then I remembered in my cellar was one of these bergens, and having brought it up apart from it's rather fousty smell, it's in very good nick, albeit missing the zips and straps which I must have chopped off a while back to make it lighter/ less annoying.

Just wondering if anyone uses these or whether the general consensus is that for a decent rucksack you have to spend 150 quid on a deuter or osprey one?

Don't know how much these cost on ebay nowadays, but surely not much, and for a really tough old rucksack with a decent capacity it's got to be good value, but will the mountainside fashion police consider you an outcast forever if you're seen with one?
... not showing 9 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums