UKC

Deeside area xc sking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CacCarnBeag 22 Jan 2013
Can anybody reccomend me a good cross-country ski route in the Deeside/southern Gorms area, either high or low level? Something I could do in a loop.

Cheers

Findlay
Douglas Griffin 22 Jan 2013
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

I was at Ballochbuie (nr. Invercauld) on Sunday. Conditions were absolutely superb.
 Scomuir 22 Jan 2013
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

Went for a shuffle at Glen Tanar on Saturday. There were plenty of folk out. We did a small loop, which was essentially a circuit of "The Strone", which will be obvious when you look on a map. It was really quite nice.

I've always thought that a circuit of Carn na Drochaide to the south of Beinn a Bhuird would be good. I'm guessing it would be best to go up the Slugain, and back via Glen Quoich.
 Doug 22 Jan 2013
In reply to CacCarnBeag: Hill of Fare can be good, Glen Tanar often popular - if you have the SMC ski mountaineering guide I think it has a section on Deeside written by Adam Watson.

I also remember a fantastic half day on Benachie many years ago with good snow down to the roadside, blueskies, sun & distant views (but thats not Deeside)
 ali_robb 22 Jan 2013
In reply to CacCarnBeag: The Mouizie track from the Glen Doll carpark was in great condition on Sunday and is a good loop up and round back through Glen Doll to the car park. Or the other way round
 TobyA 22 Jan 2013
In reply to all: I guess people are suggesting what I would call a "tour" as opposed to following a prepared track route? Does anyone roll tracks in Scotland when the snow is good?
 Scomuir 22 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:
There are prepared tracks at Clashindarroch, but that's not Deeside. There were enough folk out in Glen Tanar on Saturday for enough good tracks to appear.
 AG 22 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA: Tracks are cut at Glemore forest at the moment - looks good....just need folk to stop walking cycling in them and pick up their dog shit.
OP CacCarnBeag 22 Jan 2013
In reply to CacCarnBeag: Cheers for the advice everyone, sounds like the conditions are good at the momment, spoiled for choice!

Findlay
Douglas Griffin 22 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

> Does anyone roll tracks in Scotland when the snow is good?

As Scott pointed out, at Clashindarroch (nr. Huntly):
http://www.nordicski.co.uk/hnoc/Forsest_trail/f_trail.htm

TobyA 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin: Thanks Doug, I must have been "speed reading" (i.e. not carefully enough) and glided straight over that!
 A9 22 Jan 2013
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

White mounth from the Cairnwell, heading out East towards Broadcairn gives good going on nordic skis - nice way to collect yr munros too

Keep an eye on the wind direction tho . .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...