/ Deeside area xc sking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
CacCarnBeag - on 22 Jan 2013
Can anybody reccomend me a good cross-country ski route in the Deeside/southern Gorms area, either high or low level? Something I could do in a loop.

Cheers

Findlay
Douglas Griffin - on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

I was at Ballochbuie (nr. Invercauld) on Sunday. Conditions were absolutely superb.
Scomuir on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

Went for a shuffle at Glen Tanar on Saturday. There were plenty of folk out. We did a small loop, which was essentially a circuit of "The Strone", which will be obvious when you look on a map. It was really quite nice.

I've always thought that a circuit of Carn na Drochaide to the south of Beinn a Bhuird would be good. I'm guessing it would be best to go up the Slugain, and back via Glen Quoich.
Doug on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to CacCarnBeag: Hill of Fare can be good, Glen Tanar often popular - if you have the SMC ski mountaineering guide I think it has a section on Deeside written by Adam Watson.

I also remember a fantastic half day on Benachie many years ago with good snow down to the roadside, blueskies, sun & distant views (but thats not Deeside)
ali_robb - on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to CacCarnBeag: The Mouizie track from the Glen Doll carpark was in great condition on Sunday and is a good loop up and round back through Glen Doll to the car park. Or the other way round
In reply to all: I guess people are suggesting what I would call a "tour" as opposed to following a prepared track route? Does anyone roll tracks in Scotland when the snow is good?
Scomuir on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:
There are prepared tracks at Clashindarroch, but that's not Deeside. There were enough folk out in Glen Tanar on Saturday for enough good tracks to appear.
AG - on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA: Tracks are cut at Glemore forest at the moment - looks good....just need folk to stop walking cycling in them and pick up their dog shit.
CacCarnBeag - on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to CacCarnBeag: Cheers for the advice everyone, sounds like the conditions are good at the momment, spoiled for choice!

Findlay
Douglas Griffin - on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

> Does anyone roll tracks in Scotland when the snow is good?

As Scott pointed out, at Clashindarroch (nr. Huntly):
http://www.nordicski.co.uk/hnoc/Forsest_trail/f_trail.htm

In reply to Douglas Griffin: Thanks Doug, I must have been "speed reading" (i.e. not carefully enough) and glided straight over that! :)
ads.ukclimbing.com
A9 - on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

White mounth from the Cairnwell, heading out East towards Broadcairn gives good going on nordic skis - nice way to collect yr munros too :)

Keep an eye on the wind direction tho . .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.