UKC

best down jackets availible ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tomfafal 22 Jan 2013
Hi I'm looking to buy a new down jacket. I have a tab micro light at the moment but want something warmer. Any suggestions ??

Thanks tom
 craig1983 22 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal:

I'm in the market for a new one as well...got a cheapy Karrimor one just now.

Looking at the Mountain Equipment Classic Lightline and Rab Summit.... peoples opinions/recommendations of both would be welcome....
 CMcBain 22 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal:

Alpkit ones are worth a look, tend to get good reviews and a fair bit cheaper than the more mainstream brands. Also come in some rather nice, bright colours.
 Axel Smeets 22 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal:

Depending on your requirements (how warm is 'warmer'?), have a look at PHD. I've owned 'big brand' down jackets, but I'm now a PHD convert. You can also get them made to size.
 craig1983 22 Jan 2013
In reply to CMcBain:
> (In reply to tomfafal)
>
> Alpkit ones are worth a look

Would you recommend Alpkit Filo over the ME or Rab assuming they have similar fill/price?

jimtitt 22 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal:
"Best down jackets available" and 3 posts in we get Alpkit!
If you aren´t spending £500 then it isn´t "best" or getting near. My Filo is a goodish product at a good price with a poor zip and rates as worst of all the down jackets I´ve used.
Little Dave of Sheffield 22 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal: I have an Alpkit one and a Rab micro and find I have a brilliant amount of flexibility between the two, if you are only looking at the cheaper Rab or ME offerings, I would save some cash and get the Alpkit!
 bluebealach 22 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal: I have a RAB Neutrino Endurance jacket but it has to be seriously cold or you will cook inside it.
 LaMentalist 22 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal:

I've got a Crux Plasma , its warm , waterproof , light not cheap but it does what it should very well . Sizing is a little on the small side though.

http://www.crux.uk.com/en/down-clothing.php?range=5&product=24

I had Mountain Equipment Classic Lightline nice & light , lovely & warm but no good in heavy rain or snow even after a reproof . The zip was poor as well .
 iksander 22 Jan 2013
In reply to iksander: If you're after a light weight down jacket on a budget, the Uniqlo Premium Down Ultra Light jacket is an amazing bargain for £60
 spidermonkey09 22 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal: Marmot ama dablam, some cracking deals on at blacks if theres one near you. friend got one for 80 and its 800 fill
In reply to jimtitt:

Well, how often do OPs mean 'best' when they say 'best'? Mostly, they really just mean 'suggest a <thing> to me'.

And which particular 'best' are we talking about?

Best value for money?
Best absolute warmth?
Best waterproofness?
Best pack size?
Best versatility?
Best street cred?

With no other information on the OP's needs, preferences and priorities, people can only offer suggestions to think about.

I'd say the Filo is on a par with ME and Rab high street offerings.
Paul F 22 Jan 2013
In reply to LaMentalist:

I've got a Crux Plasma too, not a bad jacket, the owner experience marred only by sh1t customer service from Up and Under and DMM.
 Wilbur 22 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal:

I had an me lightlne for around 8 years and I liked it BUT the neck wasn't high enough and the hood detached.

I now have a rab neutrino endurance. The neck is much higher, the outer more durable and the hood is attached. Its also warmer than the lightlne.
 JayPee630 22 Jan 2013
In reply to captain paranoia:

Totally, it's almost a meaningless question IMO. Best for what exactly? And then things like fit are personal, so makes recommending a 'best' anything even more pointless.
 Wilbur 22 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal:

Oh and I also have an alpkit filo. I don't agree with captain p.

The fit is much worse. It's cut much looser. The Velcro on the sleeves is a bit stiff and annoying and again the neck isn't high enough if better than the me offering.

It's also, in my opinion, not as warm as either of the me and rab jackets mentioned. It's not as 'puffy'!
 MtnGeekUK 22 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal:

Have a new Alpkit Filo, black XL going if interested?

£100?

Won in a comp before Xmas, literally worn twice in the dry.

PM if interested.
tomfafal 22 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal: thanks everyone for the input . Great help. In best I want best fit , warmth and durability . Budget is around 400 thanks guys.
ice.solo 22 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal:

Valandre
 JayPee630 22 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Valandre, PHD, Feathered Friends, Crux. Where you planning on using it and what for?
In reply to tomfafal: try the hangar 18 jackets 650 fill and 320 grams. Good construction, packs down light and very durable. I can't complain.

http://www.h18orr.com/products/down-jacket
grithugger 22 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal: I've just bought a Montane black ice something or other,it's a really good cut fitted but not too tight,inner pockets in the right places nice and light extra layers of synthetic filling on forearms and hood which works really well,adjustable cuffs,draw cord at the hip and waist.The quality on the zips and stitching was considerably better than the RAB jackets which i intended to buy.
 iksander 22 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal: Only jackets available to US but good breakdown http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Down-Jacket-Reviews/Charts
andic 22 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal:

Do you want a really warm, pretty warm or just fairly warm coat?

ie, rab microlite/mountain hardware ghostwhisperer, ME lightline/Rab summit or ME annapurna/phd hispar?

I say decide what weight you want, then what brand you can afford (IMHO: NF<<RAB<montane=ME<MH<CRUX<PhD) and bear in mind that a really nice synthetic with DWR might be a better choice than a light/med down depending on intended use.....
andic 22 Jan 2013
In reply to grithugger:
> (In reply to tomfafal) I've just bought a Montane black ice

Seconded got a great bargain using go outdoors price match -10%, (£112.50) id say it was a warmer medium weight down, very light though
 Thrudge 22 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal:
I've had a Mountain Equipment something or other, a Mountain Hardwear thingy, a Rab wotsit, and currently a Montane North Star. The Montane knocks the other three into a cocked hat. It's lighter, far less bulky, much better fitting, and waaay warmer. The hood is excellent, and it packs down to bugger all in its waterproof stuffsac (supplied).

The only slight niggle is that the pockets are too shallow, IMO.

If I lost mine, I'd go straight out and buy another.

Now on offer for silly money (£110) at Go Outdoors:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/montane-north-star-mens-insulated-jacket-p10222...
 geordiepie 23 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal:

Another vote for Montane....I've got a Black Ice and it's well made, fits me perfectly and is VERY warm.
 Bimble 23 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal:

I'm more than happy with my ME Lightline.
 franksnb 23 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal:

phd designs
http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=110&products_id=259

I would recommend getting separate insulation and waterproof layers.
alburns 23 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal: my first down jacket was a mountain hardware not sure of the model no hood but it was a great warm jacket until I ripped the sleeve down a wall staggering back from the pub, did a great repair on it but alas it wasnt to be & it was sold on ebay.
I then bought a Mountain Equipment Classic Lightline jacket it was warm enough not as warm as the hardware jacket always had a problem with the zip even when sobber so I sold it on, I have a rab micro which I will keep however I'm looking at a rab endurance just now tried one on in tiso instantly I said to myself "I want that one"
In reply to tomfafal: I have owned RAB and Mountain Hardwear down jackets, but my North Face polar jacket is much better in my opinion. Well made and very warm.

I toyed with a Canada Goose, but in the end couldn't justify the price.
molly2202 23 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal: Check out Joe Browns, they had some great deals on Rab Summit, as di The Climbers Shop in Ambleside - both have good websites.

Think were going for like £150 which is a snip, and a jacket that will last you a decade if you look after it...
myth 23 Jan 2013
In reply to tomfafal: Alpkit.
 AlanLittle 23 Jan 2013
In reply to JayPee630:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
>
> Valandre, PHD, Feathered Friends, Crux.

... Western Mountaineering, Montbell

struds 23 Jan 2013
I bought the new Alpkit and am pretty happy with the design, fit and warmth.

However the construction quality looks a bit rubbish, lots of loose threads and second rate stitching, when you look closely and compare it to the RAB equivalent the quality for the more expensive jacket is obvious.

However !! I've been wearing it most days for the last 2 months and it has refused to fall apart like I expected ! At the moment it's mainly worn about town and for walking, I suspect when it eventually gets a beat up it will become my go to crag jacket that I will generally abuse and not really care about too much as I didn't spend silly money on it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...