UKC

searching for a xxl breathable jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
windjammer 30 Jan 2013
i been searching the web and im struggling to find a xxl jacket,i went to my local ellis brigham shop and they didnt have any in stock.
id like a 3 layer jacket with a external stormflap covering the main zip,im a 48 inch chest
 sbc_10 30 Jan 2013
In reply to windjammer:

Hi there, I share your problem, I'm a bit too wide for my arm length....
Try this fella
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=534952
...it might still be up for sale. I was tempted, nice jacket.
 ripper 30 Jan 2013
In reply to windjammer: you tried Go Outdoors? every time I look for something I want in a Medium they only ever seem to have XL...
In reply to windjammer:

Try Outside in a few days. I ordered an XXL in a ME Tupilak but it's too big, even with a neat fit, so I need to return it.
windjammer 30 Jan 2013
In reply to sbc_10:
i have tried rab jackets in xxl and i can only wear a base layer underneath,i have a berghaus trango extrem from the 90ies and i can fit a down jacket underneath but its a xl.
windjammer 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Colin Henderson: would you tell me your chest measurement, the problem i have is my belly is wider than my waist and chest
 sbc_10 30 Jan 2013
In reply to windjammer:
> (In reply to sbc_10)
>.... from the 90ies and i can fit a down jacket underneath but its a xl.

I suppose RAB must have used the British climber physique to model its designs....ie. tall skinny streak of pi55.
And we have gone all Alpine in our aspirations as well. Move fast and light,no excess material.
Canadian and US brands are more generous in XL fit, but prices are higher.

Good luck, I will look on with interest.

ripper 30 Jan 2013
In reply to sbc_10:
> (In reply to windjammer)
> [...]
>
> Canadian and US brands are more generous in XL fit, but prices are higher.

Outdoor Research stuff seems to be well priced and frequently on offer, seen some cheap deals on Field & Trek
windjammer 30 Jan 2013
In reply to sbc_10: ive found a berghaus mera peak in xxl 48-50 inch chest but its 2 layer with a drop mesh liner,would a 3 layer be better
 sbc_10 30 Jan 2013
In reply to windjammer:
> drop mesh liner, or would a 3 layer be better ??????

That's a personal preference thing. I do not like internal mesh linings, they get clammy, are heavier and add insulation when I really don't need any more. Once in cold conditions my sweat froze and got trapped inside the material. I had to cut a hole in the mesh to extract the slush before getting in the tent!!

The previous post suggested Outdoor Research, they do some good, well thought out kit. Not seen many in XXL though.

MtnGeekUK 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Colin Henderson:

Have an XL Tupilak II for sale if you're interested?
windjammer 30 Jan 2013
In reply to MtnGeekUK: what size chest are you
 Matt Buchanan 31 Jan 2013
In reply to windjammer:

Hey Windjammer,

YHM.

Cheers,
Matt
 ripper 31 Jan 2013
In reply to sbc_10:
> (In reply to windjammer)
> [...]
>
>
> The previous post suggested Outdoor Research, they do some good, well thought out kit. Not seen many in XXL though.

From what I've seen though OR jackets are very generously sized. I recently bought a new Berghaus Vellum shell, and although I'm usually a Medium in most things I went up to Large as the cut is very 'athletic'. I also tried a Large Outdoor Research Paladin and that absolutely buried me - much bigger than the Berghaus.
 MtnGeekUK 31 Jan 2013
In reply to windjammer:

Hi.

Just measured my chest.

I'm 108cms / 42.5".

Trim fit, so enough room for baselayer and microfleece underneath.

Premier post gives more info - PM me if you want anything else?
 Phil J Booth 31 Jan 2013
In reply to windjammer:

Try either contacting Rab direct or going to their factory store if you live close enough.
They had their annual winter sale in the warehouse just before Christmas. They had loads and loads of shell jackets in XL and XXL, in fact just about pretty much every jacket was in these sizes (much to my frustration as that's not my size!)
All the items in the sale were brand new, not faulty or seconds in any way. I eventually found two shells that fit, a Latok alpine which I got for £100 (RRP £220) and a Demand Pull On for £80 (RRP £150 I think).
All the stock which didn't sell will be in the factory shop now and they will definitely still have stuff in those sizes.
From experience you can drop them a line, tell them what you're looking for and if they have it there they'll get in sent out the same day!
 Dauphin 31 Jan 2013
In reply to windjammer:

Most U.S. stuff if sized XL is actually XXL for the U.K. Outdoor research, Patagonia, Wildthings at least are mahoosive I normally fit a U.K. XL.

D
 neuromancer 31 Jan 2013
In reply to windjammer:

Have you tried not being 80's arnold?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...