UKC

Number twos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KlaasW 14 Feb 2013
I have a slightly weird but very serious question. I am determined to do the Peuterey integrale on the Mt Blanc before I become old and decrepit, which takes several days. If one does a long multi day route in the alps or even something scarier such as a serious north face, where do you do your number twos? When Jen and Jackie of the TCA Glasgow did El Cap, they apparently brought special poo bags. Anybody know anything about these?
 Flashy 14 Feb 2013
In reply to KlaasW: As far as I can tell, if you're within 10 miles from Chamonix you should always poo either in the middle of a belay ledge, any flat bivi spot, or in an area where people might want to collect snow or water for cooking.
OP KlaasW 14 Feb 2013
Errr nice... Somebody was suggesting paper bags that you could stuff in a dry bag
Removed User 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Flashy:
> (In reply to KlaasW) As far as I can tell, if you're within 10 miles from Chamonix you should always poo either in the middle of a belay ledge, any flat bivi spot, or in an area where people might want to collect snow or water for cooking.

I think this is enshrined in French and Italian law.
 bouldery bits 15 Feb 2013
In reply to KlaasW:

Sandwich bags mate.
Removed User 15 Feb 2013
In reply to bouldery bits:
> (In reply to KlaasW)
>
> Sandwich bags mate.

But always better to eat your sandwiches first and get yer partner to hold the bag open for ya.
needvert 15 Feb 2013
In reply to KlaasW:

You can buy bags for this purpose...Been meaning to try em.
OP KlaasW 15 Feb 2013
I heard about bags filled with absorbing powder but not sure what they are
 Dauphin 15 Feb 2013
In reply to KlaasW:

Sumthink like this?

youtube.com/watch?v=3SyDr_zLnG4&

D
 jshields 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Dauphin: Excellent!!
 thin bob 15 Feb 2013
In reply to KlaasW:
Depending on your accuracy, the (atmospheric!) wind and the likely consistency, you can lay a sheet of tinfoil/doubled clingfilm on the floor & release.

Or a carrier bag, the handles can be handy. Do be aware that some of them have holes in! And remember there will likely be some peeing involved, so watch where the old chap is pointing.
 ClayClay 15 Feb 2013
In reply to KlaasW:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Shit-Woods-Environmentally-Approach/dp/08981562...

A cracking read, this book makes shitting really interesting. There is so much more than simply digging a hole these days.
 ClayClay 15 Feb 2013
In reply to KlaasW:
Chapter 3 is where it's at.
 Mark F 15 Feb 2013
In reply to KlaasW:

What you need are WAG bags, available from Needle Sports. I used them in the States, where they are compulsory in some parks. It seems a bit strange at first to perform in a bag, but when you consider the mess left behind on popular mountains like Ben Nevis it's a shame they aren't used more in this country.

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Rock-Climbing-Equipment/Aid-Climbing/...
OP KlaasW 15 Feb 2013
Thanks those WAG bags must be the ones I've heard about.
OP KlaasW 15 Feb 2013
Anyway that still leaves the question: how do you poo on, say, Mt. Everest when it's -60 in your tent?
 Mark Bannan 15 Feb 2013
In reply to KlaasW:
> Anyway that still leaves the question: how do you poo on, say, Mt. Everest when it's -60 in your tent?

I read once about a Himalayan expedidion (I have no ambitions to go there myself) where standard procedure was to shit into a saucepan, put said (soiled!) saucepan outside tent until the job freezes. Then tap the back of the saucepan (obviously holding it outside the tent!) to remove the turd. Apparently, the pan is supposed to be really clean afterwards (i.e. clean enough to cook with!).

paul-1970 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Mark Bannan:
> (In reply to KlaasW)
> [...]
>
> I read once about a Himalayan expedidion (I have no ambitions to go there myself) where standard procedure was to shit into a saucepan...

If I was to ever crawl into my tent and find my tent-mate shitting in the communal saucepan, I think I'd be finding another use for my ice axe.

Chris Harris 16 Feb 2013
In reply to KlaasW:
> Anyway that still leaves the question: how do you poo on, say, Mt. Everest when it's -60 in your tent?

I recollect a report of a Japanese(?) climber on fairly high on Everest who went just a few feet from the tent for a crap in the night & went straight down a hidden crevasse. A crap way to die, so to speak.

Flat4matt 16 Feb 2013
In reply to thin bob:

Ive never had a dump without having a whiz at the same time so dont forget to aim well!!

Being a carp angler, shitting in my bivvy is something ive got down to a fine art and find a mk1 plastic bag, sometimes with a handful of soil (for the piss to soak into) does the job just fine!!

And remember, what you brought with you must be taken away

Enjoy!!
 Dauphin 17 Feb 2013
In reply to KlaasW:

I remember reading Alan Hinkes account of being so dehydrated and generally f*cked up at altitude that he would resort to fishing it out with a twig so to speak (or his own hands.) Any sign of constipation in my circles had henceforth been questioned with 'have you got a Hinkes?'

D
andrew breckill 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Dauphin: compacted stool syndrome, due to dehydration at altitude. Not been that high to ever experience such a procedure. I always take an an Imodium before going on weekend trips usually sorts the issue for a couple of days.
 dave frost 17 Feb 2013
In reply to KlaasW: a bag or bucket with cat litter in might be a good plan. Though i think it might be more of a aid climbing thing as some of the cat litter can be very heavy!

Dave
andrew breckill 17 Feb 2013
In reply to dave frost: A good quality twin seal food bag would be my present choice, when I was a frequent outdoors stayer I used a small flexible Nalgene wide mouth which I could use single handed, thus avoiding that awkward moment when your testicles gently brush the hands of the person holding the bag.
 wilkie14c 17 Feb 2013
In reply to KlaasW:
It has took plenty of attempts but I have it down to a fine art now - its all about the diet and timing to be able to hold it just long enough till you reach the CIC hut then lay it on the doorstep

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...