Skiing forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - non-specific touring skis

Bob_the_Builder - on 15 Feb 2013
Does such a thing exist? As a fairly new skier my mind is absolutely boggled by the sheer number of skis, and they all seem to have their specific uses, despite being almost the same size and shape.

It seems to me that if I were to buy a pair of skis that were decent off piste I should be able to fit randonnee bindings and voila, a perfectly workable, if slightly heavy, setup. Am I missing something fundamental?

The other problem I have is that all the manufacturers talk up their product, and then all the skiers have different opinions, unlike, say a mountaineering boot, where there are certain "classic" options. Or is there a "standard" beginner touring setup that I would do well to start with? I would like my setup to be more on the durable side than lightweight. I'd also like to be able to use them on piste. I'm always happy to save money, but not if it will seriously negatively effect the performance of the kit (i.e. i buy decathlon clothes for climbing because they're cheap, but i have Sportiva Nepal Extremes because they're the best!)

I'd love it if you could help a fool out!
... not showing 12 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums