UKC

UCPA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
macstinator 17 Feb 2013
Hi,

I thought I would right a few words about a recent trip we had the the UCPA via Action Outdoors, in Val Thoren. (Not affiliated in any way)

In short, this is the best, cheapest, way to ski for a week.

For about £700, we had Val T pass, accommodation in own room, 20+hrs lessons/guiding, 3 meals a day, ski hire and transfers from GVA. Our room was bang on - say 3* standard. All the kit was brand new Rossignol stuff, and the food - all you can eat - was awesome.

We were in a group of 10 or so, with 2 instructors, who skied us hard for 5hrs a day. The conditions dictated that this quickly turned into a beginners off piste course!

Demography wise, there is a split between the 80% French and 20% English speaking. We were one of about 8 Brits, the rest being Swedes. It seems the UCPA is popular in Sweden.

I am in two minds about writing this, as it is a very well kept secret. If you were up for, say, off piste guiding, a guide would cost upwards of €200 per day. Here, is is a course option. Even as a normal skier, the value is staggering. The UCPA is a non-profit quango, which is how it manages it.

We will definitely be going back, possibly for a dedicated off-piste week.

I would highly recommend.

If you have any questions, please ask.
 Brass Nipples 17 Feb 2013
In reply to macstinator:

> Demography wise, there is a split between the 80% French and 20% English speaking. We were one of about 8 Brits, the rest being Swedes. It seems the UCPA is popular in Sweden.
>

How do those figures work as you were in a group of 10, 8 of whom were British, therefore 2 Swedes? Or did the majority of Brits not speak English?

macstinator 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Beat me to it!:

Sorry, of 360, 80% were french, the rest English speaking.

There were a couple of English speaking groups. In my group, there were 8 Swedes, and the two of us. I presume the other Brits did half day lessons, off piste, or something else.
 Doug 17 Feb 2013
In reply to macstinator: I've recommended UCPA on here before & think they are very good value. Did you check that not speaking French would be OK before booking ? - On the week I did at La Plagne (several years), I was the only non French in my class, fairly sure the monitor didn't speak English beyond a couple of phrases, & I only heard French in the accommodation.
macstinator 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Doug: Aye, we were totally accommodated as anglophiles in every way.
 milkyjoe 17 Feb 2013
In reply to macstinator:

I did one of their ski touring trips 5 years ago, out of Pralognan. It might not be luxury, but I really enjoyed it and it was excellent value. I was quite happy to speak French.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...