UKC

Sleeping bag for Trekking in Nepal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 17 Feb 2013
I am trying to go as light as possible. Have a -25 rated phd sac. Didnt want to take it. What should I do? What rated sac is best for use between 17th March and 1st May in Nepal? How cold is likely to get on the Trek to Base Camp?
 Mountain Llama 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: I'd go for 2 bags, so you do not fry lower down, then use both together when its cold. Should be no more than approx 1.5 kg, eg 400 + 250 down bags. If it gets mega cold just keep your clothes on & use down jacket as blanket. Used this approach for camping up to 5500m in Nepal in November.

HTH Davey
OP Blizzard 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Mountain Llama:

I take it I will be able to buy aforementioned bags in Kathmandu. Will they be cheap out there?
 Warner 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
I used a 600g down bag and I ended up sleeping with the bag unzipped everyday. I think a 400g should be fine.
 Brass Nipples 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

A 3 season bag will be fine, if on the usual trekking circuits.
 ryan_d 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: Are you camping or in lodges? We did the trek in Nov last year and it was perishingly cold. I have a ME Xero 750 and was still fully clothed in it, although we were camping other than when in Namche.

When you are going, it is usually warmer though.

Ryan
m0unt41n 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: PHD Hispar 500 which is -10c (not the "900 down" version which is they say -15c) which was OK for lodges in November which will be a bit colder than spring.

If your PHD is light enough and has a full length zip then why not use it unzipped if too warm instead of buying a new one?

I have done a few treks with a -25c bag which I kept unzipped for most of time below 4000m.

Bags bought in KTM will be a lot heavier and bulkier since the down will be nothing like as good as the PHD ones.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...