/ Sweden Bouldering
I'm considering doing a family road trip this summer through Sweden taking in some bouldering destinations, looking on the net Kjugekull and Vastervik look very good... Just wondering if anybody has any experience of these or can recommend any other destinations.
We will have a campervan and a 2 year old (hence the bouldering),
Thanks in advance
I found a climbing wall near to malmo ( not sure of the spelling)but the locals were very helpful.
Take plenty of insect repellent.
If it's a hot it might not be a bad idea to visit some areas by the sea on the west coast, Hönö fo example.
There's lots of information on these sites if you're willing to play around with google translate.
All of Sweden
Mail me if you want more info.
Yes, just went for a quick visit when passing but thought exactly the same. We stayed on a nearby campsite (on an island as I remember - you take a free ferry to get over there that was both very nice and super little kid friendly with a great playground (although I've found all Swedish campsites do have great playgrounds and facilities for kids).
* Kjugekull. Big area, beautiful forrest, sharp rock
* Gothenburg. Lots and lots of bouldering. Very spread out. No good guidebook afaik
* Bohuslan. As above, but better rock on average. ( Not so many topos here but better than nothing http://27crags.com/areas/bohuslan/descending/by/boulder_count )
* Vastervik. Big area, lots of bouldering spread out over smaller areas. Easy to find info. http://27crags.com/areas/vastervik
* Aland. Accessible via cheap booze-fueled ferry from Stockholm. Probably the child-friendliest area in Scandinavia. Good steep bouldering in all difficulties. http://27crags.com/areas/aland
* Dalarna (Stennaset, Trollbo, etc.) Lots of established problems. Insane amount of boulders. Not described in guidebook, but a taster here: http://27crags.com/teams/dalarna/crags
* Plenty of bouldering around Uppsala / Stockholm. I know nothing. Look on 27crags.
* Gävle. As above
* Sundsvall. Plenty of bouldering up to 8a or so. Nothing spectacular. Easy to find info.
* Umeå. As above.
* Luleå. As above.
* Kaisenjarga (Kiruna). North of all music. Spectacular area on the tundra. Easy to find info. A few hours from Lofoten, which is also spectacular, but impossible to find info about.
On purely nationalist grounds, I'd like to point out that Åland/Ahvenanmaa isn't "Sweden Bouldering" at all! :)
Elsewhere on the site
This streamlined, midweight thermal layer has an incredibly speedy moisture wicking ability and dries ultra fast if it gets... Read more
In tonight's Friday Night Video, we see Alex Honnold soloing Heaven 5.12d in Yosemite Valley. The route starts 3000ft above the... Read more
So, just what is the Petzl RocTrip? Every year French climbing manufacturer pick a sport climbing area that has potential... Read more
The B.D.V. — short for Black Diamond Vertical — jacket and pants are Black Diamond’s most versatile climbing... Read more
October 21, 2014 – Textile Exchange, a global nonprofit dedicated to sustainability in the apparel and textile industry,... Read more