UKC

Midge repellant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chris tan 11 Aug 2003
The little Basturds were out at Laddow yesterday. Tried Jungle formula - they seem attracted to this!! & Life systems expedition natural.

They are both SHITE!! You have been warned.
Graham chadwick 11 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan: I've just come from scotland and alot of people there were saying good things about AVON Skin-so-soft
chris tan 11 Aug 2003
In reply to Graham chadwick:

Best one I've used is Autan ( Deet based) but I can seem to find them in the shops anymore. Jungle Formula just seem to attract the bas-turds!
 Dave Stelmach 11 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan: My son always attracts lots of midges because of his hair gel! whilst the rest of us don't use it, he constantly has a cloud of them around his hair. Any mentholated oil, such as tea tree, citronella, eucalyptus, etc repels them. Alternatively, do what the Jocks (professionals when it comes to midges) do and wear an impregnated head net
Anita 11 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan: Was climbing at Polldubh on Sun - midge hell in the trees. Avon skin so soft does work - they still land on you and can be irritating generally flying in your face ect but they don't bite.
OP Iain 11 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan:
got to say that life systems midge repellant is the only stuff i've every used that really works, esp after a couple of applications. and that was on Polldubh and Mull midges. highly recommend it
Anonymous 11 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan: Lemon Juice slightly diluted with water
 Simon Caldwell 11 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan:
Jungle formula works but it's got to be the cask-strength stuff, the one that gives you cancer and causes global warming.
OP cynk 11 Aug 2003
In reply to Graham chadwick:
> (In reply to chris tan) I've just come from scotland and alot of people there were saying good things about AVON Skin-so-soft

Yup it rearly works!!!!!!!!!
Alternativly try scoot! which doesn't contain DDT, unlike most repelants......
 aln 11 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan: Skin So Soft does work but boy does it stink!Most commercial repellants are DEET based which does work,but they are usually not strong enough.I sometimes use 100% DEET which is Army issue and this actually stops them landing.People have told me this stuff is dangerous,I'd like to know if anyone out there knows if this is true.I'm looking for FACTS,not conjecture or rumour.
OP rgreeves 11 Aug 2003
In reply to aln:
http://www.who.int/ctd/whopes/docs/barnard.pdf
Has some stuff on the effects of deet. Personally, I wouldn't use the stuff - it's sticky and makes your lips tingle. Avon skin so soft is much much better - its like baby oil and it definitely works, you can see the little blighters writhe and die in it(heh).
Of course, a head net is pretty essential too to stop you breathing them(when it's bad) no amount of repellant will keep them out of your lungs...
R
jamie 11 Aug 2003
I recently spoke to guy in the Para's who said that the little nasties hate the smell of garlic. He said that before summer exercises he always eats a clover of garlic each day for the proir week.
On the down side humans also pay no attention to you !!
BruceH 11 Aug 2003
In reply to aln: I've used the Issue stuff years ago, and if definately works, but don't leave ANY skin exposed or they'll go for that with a vengence...The down side to this stuff is that it dissolves some plastics, including those used for specs, watch straps, etc...(and presumably some fabrics too...?)
 Mark Morris 11 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan: It also disloves uPVC! Used some on the the ventilation thingy on a window one hot night to stop the buggers coming in, didn't work and melted the surface of the plastic. God knows what it would do to tent fabric.

the Avon stuff works though, I'm a midge magnet but since using it - bite free (fingers crossed).
andC 11 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan: Use deep woods off
 Aiden 12 Aug 2003
In reply to Mark Morris: got some deet (95% stuff) on a wild country groundsheet and it melted it. not all the way through but made the patch deform and go slitly bobbly. and that was from only a tiny drop.
does work very well though, especially with the savage scottish beasts.
 TN 12 Aug 2003
In reply to Mark Morris:

But you smell lovely!!

We spent the weekend in North Yorkshire - I used liberal amounts of Jungle Formula but still got a few bites. My sister used the Avon stuff and has no bites as far as she is aware. I have tried Autan before and it worked less than JF.
Alison Bond 12 Aug 2003
In reply to cynk:

Which fragrence of Skin So Soft works best, there are about 5 different ones in my Avon catalogue... I want to give it a try cause although Deet stops the buggers biting me, it also makes me cough and wheeze, so that can't be good!
climberjim 12 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan: Make yourself meal laced with garlic on thursday and on friday. Come Saturday the garlis is emitted from your pores and the buggers don't like it. "...they don't like it up 'um Captain Mannering.."
 Chris McDaid 12 Aug 2003
In reply to Alison Bond:

Woodland Fresh bath oil. The spray version also works but needs re applied more frequently.

Cheers
 tony 12 Aug 2003
In reply to Iain:
> (In reply to chris tan)
> got to say that life systems midge repellant is the only stuff i've every used that really works, esp after a couple of applications. and that was on Polldubh and Mull midges. highly recommend it

I was using this stuff yesterday and it did a pretty good job for me. The little buggers still and investigate you, but they don't bite.

OP Anonymous 12 Aug 2003
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Mosi Guard Natural (citronella-based) keeps the midgies off me very nicely. Or maybe they just prefer the taste of my red-haired, fair-skinned mate?
O Mighty Tim 12 Aug 2003
In reply to Anonymous: I think a lot of it is down to your skin chemistry mixing with the repellant chemicals?
One man's repellant is another's 'come and get it' signal?

Tim, TG (Uses Autan)
Clauso 12 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan:

I'm suprised that nobody's mentioned this already, but recent studies have shown that midges are attracted to the carbon dioxide that we exhale. It was recently reported that a company has taken to manufacturing CO2-emitting midge traps. These are supposedly very effective. They are hoping that campsites, pubs etc will buy them. The downside is that they are also rather large and cumbersome, and not suited for personal use.

In light of these facts, the obvious answer to the midge problem is to simply try holding your breath as you climb. I tried this for the first time at Burbage North last weekend. I'm pleased to report that it works! I remained midge free, whilst my climbing companions suffered an all out onslaught. It had the slight disadvantage of causing me to turn blue and fall off Mutiny Crack, having only just made it off the ground. I'm working on increasing my lung capacity though, in the full expectation that I'll soon be up to anaerobically soloing Bowfell Buttress.
OP Iain 12 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan:
http://www.midgeater.co.uk/home.htm

pity there so damn expensive
 Alex T 12 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan:
Where can you get 'avon skin so soft' is it sold in shops? I seem to remember something called an 'avon lady' who would call at your front door and try to sell you cosmetics. Do I have to wait for one of these to appear before I can stop being eaten alive or shall I continue to melt my climbing gear with DEET.
Alison Bond 12 Aug 2003
In reply to Alex T:

I'm an Avon Lady!

Email me and i'll get you some
(it's only a couple of quid!)

Ali xxx
In reply to Alison Bond:

<terry-thomas>

Ding Dong!

</terry-thomas>

Avon SSS spray seemed to keep them at bay at Burbage during the Peak picnic.
OP EB 12 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan: swallow 2 teaspoons of kerosene, once its absorbed the wee basterts wont be interested in slashing yer skin and sookin yer blood oot
 Bob 12 Aug 2003
In reply to EB:

Hmm.

Given the Human body's natural aversion to hydrocarbons in the system I can only assume that you are trying to bump off those from south of the border!

Bob
 Vdiff Dave 15 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan:

Midges are attracted to CO2 and someone said above. The problem with the midge traps is that they emit lots of CO2 and attract midges from all around so you end up with lots more midges, some of which get caught by the traps and some of which bite whoever set the trap. The only benefit is a feeling of having got some revenge by killing lots of them.
Shreddo 15 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan: Drink the blood of your sacrificial haggis; come to Torridon; result.....not a midgie in sight
 Dave Stelmach 15 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan: Never get midges in Pontefract, we're so poor, there's nothing for them to eat!
OP Rich 16 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan: The best insect repellant I've ever used is a home made potion made up of TCP and Dettol mixed 50/50. It really stinks, but works. It looks like milk when properly mixed.
 Alex T 16 Aug 2003
In reply to Rich:
I seem to recall from chemistry classes that mixing those two chemicals is a way of manufacturing TNT under the right conditions. Anyway smearing yourself in dettol cannot be good for the health.
OP EB 17 Aug 2003
In reply to Bob: I kid you not Bob, its a well known form of repellant used by Loggers/lumberjacks in Tasmania, New Zealand, Canada etc

havent tried it myself YET
Steve Ward 17 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan:
Did a little experiment these last two weeks...
Spent a week in Scotland on Deet 100% and recieved about 12 bites from the wee little blighters at places like Sligachan and Kyleakin.
Went onto Avon Skin so Soft for the second week at Clachaig and into the Lake District and suffered no more bites.
I summise that Avon has the edge...
The weather was pretty similar in all places and we were camped at Clach near the river and against the woods (Midge city)
A word of warning, Don't ingest the water at the Red Squirrel campsite near Clachaig. There is an overflow cess pit pipe feeding directly into the river at the point along the river nearest to the Clachaig PH. We smelled it first, then discovered its effluent... Not nice!
chris tan 18 Aug 2003
In reply to All:

Tried SuperDrug's Buzz Off £3.99 for 100ml - 30% DEET & some other stuff. It worked & smells better than most.

Anybody want a can of Jungle formula to inflict on their enemies?
 220bpm 18 Aug 2003
In reply to Iain:
> (In reply to chris tan)
> http://www.midgeater.co.uk/home.htm
>
> pity there so damn expensive

The poor bugger Rod who owns the Kingshouse Hotel in Glen Coe, had his top of the line model stolen the other week! I suspect the next one will be resin-anchored to some sort of foundation.....
Would seem to be a vital purchase for all locals tho
jimtheape 18 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan: u get citronella candles that r meant to keep the bugs away, dont know if they work though.
 Simon Caldwell 18 Aug 2003
In reply to jimtheape:
> dont know if they work though

Judging by the number of midges that drowned in the wax of mine, they don't seem to be too muchy of a deterrent!
OP Woker 18 Aug 2003
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
I've heard that diluted detol keeps them off, and is often used up in scotland. It does need quite frequent reapplying, but I saw it in action in the peak at the weekend (the midges we're terrible this weekend I was in thick clouds of the buggers on friday night up at burbage north) and it does seem to work and be a very cheap and non toxic solution to the problem....

Woker
OP Woker 18 Aug 2003
In reply to Woker:
from a web site :

Most insect repellents are effective against midges and should be used whenever you are outside the house, alternatively an equal part mixture of baby oil, Dettol and Eucalyptus oil is useful.
 220bpm 18 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan:
would personally recommend a soviet designed vodka fuelled flame thrower. a most flexible tool.

and the avon SSS does make a difference, unlike anything else I've ever tried

DEET is just far too nasty to consider is large or pure quantities. rather get bitten!
 lynda 18 Aug 2003
In reply to 220bpm: found that the mosquito coils worked a treat up in glen nevis, the buggers didn't come near me, and they usually have a party when i'm up north.

I also had 100% DEET on. I don't care about the adverse effects, when you're as allergic to the bites as I am (two weeks later and I'm still itchy), you'll use anything...
Darren Burrows 18 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan: I sprayed 100% DEET round my ankles while wearing sandals (no socks, i hasten to add), and ended up with nasty blisters on my feet wherever they'd been in contact with the material!
 francois 18 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan:

where do you find Avon skin so soft, they don't seem to have it on rock and run

fx
Norrie Muir 18 Aug 2003
In reply to 220bpm:
> (In reply to Iain)>
>
> The poor bugger Rod who owns the Kingshouse Hotel in Glen Coe, had his top of the line model stolen the other week!

Dear 220bpm

Things don't change - the safe was stolen once from the Kingshouse.

Norrie
clare rawlinson 18 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan:

Jungle formula roll on or spray contain ETDA.
Julgle formula liquid contains DEET. Liquid not as convenient as roll-on but very effective (I've used it recently on a trip to the Amazon).
"natural" formulas generally on contain citronella oil or equivalent. (Better using the concentrated citronella oil- although skin sensitivities sometimes occur). Generally not very effective but varies between regions (repels some insects more than others).

Re: Health effects of DEET. It is not recommended for long term high exposure use, as some absorbtion can occur through the skin. However, at the frequency you would be using it in this country, this shouldn't be a problem unless you're pregnant(would have thought this is unlikely!!!)! Do avoid exposure to lips etc as these areas of skin are more sensitive and are alo thinner with a higher blood flow, therefore absorb more DEET- hence your tingling effect.

Hope this helps.
Taff
In reply to Darren Burrows:

If DEET comes into contact with clothing etc before it dries it can interacta and cause the material to degrade. Also if sandals are rubbing the skin and the skin becomes warmer and possibly broken. This may increase absorbtion of DEET into the skin and my have caused the blisters.
In reply to clare rawlinson:
Sorry EDTA not ETDA
 Simon 18 Aug 2003
In reply to DazMan:

You forgot that you also sweated like a big greasy pig, couldn't jam for toffee, and tryed to mantle on an overhanging juggy route!! (see new photo gallery)

Mind you good excuse mate - - I'll remember that!

Good climbing

Si

And? ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid is a commonly used chelating agent or ligand (it's a hexadentate ligand), and often found in skincare products. I've always assumed it's there to bind to metals (which is what a chelate/ligand does), to remove them from the skin.

Couldn't find any COSHH data for EDTA, or any references to known skin reactions....but I didn't look very hard...
clare rawlinson 19 Aug 2003
In reply to captain paranoia:

Skin reaction in reference to DEET and Citronella oils not EDTA. Essential oils can cause skin sensitivity reactions in some people (rare).

DEET should not be used on broken skin or mucous membranes as can cause irritation, and also increased absorbtion into the system can occur. This is from clinical experience and you would find data on this more in the BNF, clinical handbooks etc, rather than COSHH (deals with the hazardous nature of exposure to chemicals substances).
 tony 19 Aug 2003
In reply to francois:

You can get Avon products online at http://www.avon.uk.com/PRSuite/buying/buyingavon.jsp
chris tan 19 Aug 2003
andy sparks 19 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan:
In new zealand to combat sandflies , which are much more vicious than midges, most people use dettol/baby oil 50/50 mix.

seems to work, I tried it here at stanage once and seemed to work ok.
 Clare 19 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan:

you're probably all going to swear at me but midges don't seem to bite me (hurrah!) does anyone have any idea why not, 'cos i haven't a clue...
chris tan 19 Aug 2003
In reply to Clare:
> does anyone have any idea why not,

Cue Graham?
 Clare 19 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan:

eh?
Iain Ridgway 19 Aug 2003
Just got this fronm the online MSDS pages at oxford, EDTA is an irritant. we use it all the time but have to use saftey gear.

Safety (MSDS) data for EDTA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General
Synonyms: ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid, edetic acid, ethylenedinitrilotetracetatic acid, celon A, gluma cleanser, sequestrene AA, titriplex, nullapon B acid, trilon BS, warkeelate acid, YD 30, versene acid, N,N'-1,2-ethanediylbis(N-(carboxymethyl)glycine)
Molecular formula: C10H16N2O8
CAS No: 60-00-4
EINECS No: 200-449-4
Physical data
Appearance: white crystals or powder
Melting point: ca. 245 C (decomposes)
Boiling point:
Vapour density:
Vapour pressure:
Density (g cm-3): 0.86
Flash point:
Explosion limits:
Autoignition temperature:

Stability
Stable. Incompatible with copper, copper alloys, nickel, aluminium, strong oxidizing agents, strong bases

Toxicology
Skin, eye and respiratory irritant.
Toxicity data
(The meaning of any abbreviations which appear in this section is given here.)
IVN-MUS LD50 28.5 mg kg-1
IPR-MUS LD50 250 mg kg-1
IPR-RAT LD50 397 mg kg-1
ORL-MUS LD50 30 mg kg-1

Risk phrases
(The meaning of any risk phrases which appear in this section is given here.)
R36 R37 R38.

Transport information
Non-hazardous for air, sea and road freight.
Personal protection
Safety glasses.
Safety phrases
(The meaning of any safety phrases which appear in this section is given here.)
S26 S36.

[Return to Physical & Theoretical Chemistry Lab. Safety home page.]

Ah. I was just confused as to why you mentioned EDTA, that was all. DEET is most certainly problematic, if only for any plastics you have around...

In reply to Ian Ridgeway:

Sorry, not familiar with the info from MSDS (used to mean Marconi Space & Defence Systems in my day...), so that was all a lot of gibberish to me.

What sort of concentrations are we talking about, or are we referring to the crystalline form (as the data _seems_ to suggest)? EDTA is certainly widely used (which doesn't of course mean that it's benign). It seems to be being trialled for some cardio-vascular medicine, and has been used in appallingly high concentrations to treat massive radioactive metal ingestion (one problem being that the blasted stuff strips the iron from your haemoglobin). I guess they weren't too concerned about a little irritation compared with a lot of irradiation...
Neil Foster 19 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan:

The Avon site lists about 50 different 'skin so soft' products.

Can someone help me choose whether I should be subjecting my body to Soft and Sensual Smart Moisture Body Lotion; Light and Lush Moisturising Body Souffle; Woodland Fresh Moisturising Shower Gel with Microbeads; or Light and Lush Exfoliating Body Scrub....

....in my desire to combat the dreaded midge, that is!

Neil
 arctickev 19 Aug 2003
In reply to Neil Foster:
wash with just water, its the sweetness of the shampoo and soaps e.t.c. as well as the salt in your sweat that attracts them, bin the cleaning products and you should be a bit better off.
 Duncan Bourne 19 Aug 2003
In reply to chris tan:
They were murder at the Roaches too!!!
and yes jungle formula is crap
Sarah G 19 Aug 2003
In reply to Neil Foster:
You need Woodland Fresh dry oil.
Sxx
 Simon Caldwell 20 Aug 2003
In reply to Sarah G:
or Woodland Fresh bath oil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...