UKC

Things to do in Zermatt?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bobling 04 Mar 2013
Not sure if this is the right forum or if this should be in Exped and Alpine...anyway...

I'm off on family hols at the end of March, part of which will involve a brief stay (3 nights) in Zermatt. I'm going with my wife, and our two year old, and her brother. Neither of the other adults are into climbing or skiing.

Can anyone give me some lowdown on fun things to do in Zermatt? I'd love to do something in the hills but as I have 0 winter experience or kit I don't think 'll have many options. I'm up for some skiing (even if it is on my tod) if there are accessible slopes and rental shops.

Looking at the tourist sites I think it is safe to assume the via ferrata will not be open as it is still winter? On the plus side the toboggan at Rotenboden looks like it may be suitable for the youngster...

Any thoughts appreciated!
 John Ww 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Bobling:

Rolling a large pile of 50 euro notes into little balls and flicking them casually into an open fire is probably the cheapest way to get your kicks in the said location.

JW
 Blinder 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Bobling: there will be plenty of snow, so hire some planks.
 colina 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Bobling:when I went last year in prep for a matterhorn ascent ...(didn't happen )..get yourself up in the cable cars /train (if they are running) and just marvel at the mountains..theres the gornegrat train which takes you up very high with excellent views of the matterhorn and monte rosa group .if yer feeling fit you can walk back down to Zermatt from here .theres normally a couple of st bernards up there for the kids to coo over and get a photo!.if theres little snow ,no serious mountaineering kit will be reqd apart from the obligitory decent footwear and clothing.
you can also hire scooter bikes in Zermatt ,basickly a scooter you stand on and push which are fitted with very large tyres for going downhill quick!!

oh take plenty of money ,unlikely youll get drunk though with the price of the beer!
its certainly a bizarre place and I reckon 3 days will be more than enough time to explore/enjoy yourselves!
 Andy Hardy 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Bobling:

We started trying to find the most expensive watch in jewellers windows - the winer was about CHF450000. Some didn't have price tags, but I assumed they would be more expensive.
 london_huddy 05 Mar 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:

I've spent a lot of time in sunny Switzerland recently and have also played this game. After enquiring as the price of one watch was I told a variation of "If Sir needs to ask the price, Sir clearly cannot afford it"

Probably true. Still didn't find out how much though.

OP Bobling 05 Mar 2013
In reply to John Ww:

Thanks John! Can you supply the notes?
 John Ww 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Bobling:

Well oddly enough, I can! I'm actually a Nigerian Prince, looking for a bank account in which to deposit several billion euros - so if you could just send me your bank security details.......
 Chris the Tall 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Bobling:
Was in Zermatt a month ago and there was plenty of snow then, so it's fair to assume there will still be plenty at the end of March.

The skiing was awesome, but yep, it's ridiculously expensive.

However if you're there you may as well enjoy it, so go skiing. If you are capable, the itineraies (marked, off-piste runs) are brilliant and you still get fresh tracks days after the last snowfall. The Gornegrat railway is covered on the lift pass, but I'm sure you can get simple return tickets for the non-skiiers and the views are amazing. I'd imagine non-skiers could also get to the Kliene Matterhorn - even more spectacular.

Fondue at the WhymperStube was very good
craigloon 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Bobling:

The Alpine Museum is a must.
RockShock 05 Mar 2013
In reply to John Ww:

Are you by chance also an attorney of my late uncle who lived in Lagos and left a substantial amount of money of which I am the only heir?

Cheers
RS
 jcw 05 Mar 2013
In reply to craigloon: To which I add the cemetery. It is a must and free.
 Chris the Tall 05 Mar 2013
In reply to jcw:
> (In reply to craigloon) To which I add the cemetery. It is a must and free.
My mum recommended that, but you can't see much when it's under 3 foot of snow

Trangia 05 Mar 2013
In reply to jcw:
> (In reply to craigloon) To which I add the cemetery. It is a must and free.

You mean the British Cemetery?

OP Bobling 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Trangia:

Indeed - interest piqued, which cemetery and why?
RockShock 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Bobling:
The cementery in the center of Zermatt (at the back of the Zermatt main church) and the British parish church (mainly memorial plates) are indeed a must.

They show clearly how big impact you Brits made on the alpinism in the Zermatt area - and also show the price you paid for this in dear blood. For me it was an eye-opener!

MaxWilliam 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Bobling:

Church is just along from the museum. The cemetery has a lot of touching memorials to climbers. Many ice axes at the headstones (although will be mostly hidden by snow!).

An interesting walk would be up to the hamlet Zmutt. This little hamlet has changed little in 100s years, gives a good feel for what this resorts were like before skiing and tourism.
MaxWilliam 05 Mar 2013
In reply to MaxWilliam:

Also, just remembered the hike up through the forest to Findeln restaurant is good too.
http://www.zermatt.ch/en/page.cfm/webcam_findeln
OP Bobling 06 Mar 2013
In reply to MaxWilliam:
Cheers All, good stuff. I now feel I have enough free things to do so that JW's option might not have to be taken...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...