Biking forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Hanging onto the back of a group in a sportive

ablackett - on 08 Mar 2013
Me and a mate did a sportive a couple of weeks ago and started at the same time as a pretty serious group of club riders. We were planning on riding it hard and sharing the wind, but when the group went off like a rocket we hung onto the back of them.

I got up to the front occasionally and tried to do my time up there, but not being a very strong rider, it wasn't for long before someone came past me. I was dropped at about 70km.

My friend hung onto the back of the group running an average heartrate of 165, which is 90%, so he was working very hard just to hold on, never got up to the front because people pushed into gaps as they developed.

When the group split on the final climb he found himself somewhere in the middle of the finishers and finished inside the top 10 overall, a great result he thought.

Apparently the whole club is really annoyed with him for not taking his share of the wind. He tried to - but couldn't get up there.

Is he in the wrong? How else could he have ridden it without annoying them?
... not showing 54 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums