/ Rope colours

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bpmclimb - on 11 Mar 2013
Why do websites advertise pair deals on ropes that either aren't that different in colour or are a bit different but you don't know what to call them. Can you imagine being seriously run out, trying to fiddle in a nut, and shouting "slack on the slightly lighter shade of speckled green"?

I'm buying a new pair soon and I reckon I'm going for Mammut Genesis. Blue and red. Simples :)
ice.solo - on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:

agree totally.

even under low light they still dont differentiate enough in my opinion, but at least half way there.
Wiley Coyote - on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:
It could be worse. We bought some ropes in an auction after a local shop went bust. The auctioneer, knowing nothing about climbing, parcelled the ropes up in matching pairs!
bpmclimb - on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Our last purchase was Edelrid Kestrels. Sort of vague yellow and red, but basically both grey :(
Mr.Ric on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb: I got the genesis because of this too!

My mate climbs with two ropes which not only look very similar in colour they're an indeterminate blue/green. He insists blue I say green. I don't climb with him anymore.
Jonny2vests - on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:

Yeah. I prefer colours that are distinct and have one syllable names.
Dervey - on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb: and red should always go on the right!
GrahamD - on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:

In general I'll be climbing with one of my ropes and one of my partners. "mine" and "yours" works well then.
mkean - on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:
I used to climb with a friend who had ropes that were called "death" and "cat sick", which at least meant you didn't get confused by any other pairs calls.
I like Mammuts colours although I seem to remember the names are a bit odd, isn't the blue one "sand"? Another friend has a bright pink joker that he insists is red so calls at the crag tend to sound like "Slack on red", "Sorry do you mean pink?"...
Robert Durran - on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:

"Take in Vermillion, slack on Veridian........ ", or something like that wasn't it?
ads.ukclimbing.com
Blue Straggler - on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:

Bill and Ted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.