/ Anyone climb with Simond 70m/9.8mm ropes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sarpedon - on 11 Mar 2013
I found one at a good price, and am wondering if I should spend the money for it. It'd be for sport climbing, I fall a lot and weigh about 83 kilos. Would I wear it out too quickly?
jon on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to I_hang_dog:

I've got a 9mm one - though it seems that it's no longer available: http://www.decathlon.fr/corde-9mm-x-80m-id_8174984.html
(Decathlon/Simond) is the same thing. I believe their ropes are made by Cousin. It's really hard wearing - not a supple rope, but I quite like that. I've used this one really hard for just over a year and it looks pretty good - no worrying wear at all. I'd imagine that the 9.8 is much the same but a bit heavier.
Fraser on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to jon:

180 euros for a 9mm 80m rope - sounds almost too good!
jon on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Fraser:

Actually no, it was discounted at 135, but that was a couple of years ago. Right now American Mike in Sisteron is selling 80m Beal Jokers for 135 and 70m Beal Stingers for 100.
xplorer on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to I_hang_dog:

I've got two, two years of abuse summer and winter and showing only light wear
Enty - on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to I_hang_dog:

I got one from Decathlon - like Jon says, it's hard wearing and not supple at all. In fact I find it a bit stiff to be honest.
But then again we also have these really nice 9.2 Beals which are lovely in comparison but I tend to knacker one out in a full season!

E
Fraser on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to jon:

Wow,those are pretty good deals. A few places here have been selling off their end-of-line Jokers now the Beal Unicores are available (have just gone halfers on a 70m) but at that price, I could have been tempted by an 80m Joker, even for use as a wall rope!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.