UKC

Rope middle mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shaymarriott 17 Mar 2013
I bought an Edelrid Heron last week, and today took it out of it's packaging to have a play. One thing I have noticed is that the mid point marker is out by a fair bit - enough to cause about two meters extra surpluses rope on one end when racking it from the marked 'middle'.

Is this something which is normal in the rope world? I've never owned a rope before but have used many, and I do not remember ever having this issue before.

I spent the best part of £150 at CO on the rope and I guess I expected better. Is it worth asking for a replacement?

Cheers,

Shay.

dale1968 17 Mar 2013
In reply to shaymarriott: take it back...
 Oceanrower 17 Mar 2013
In reply to shaymarriott: Fall on the short end a lot. It'll soon even out.
 Fraser 17 Mar 2013
In reply to shaymarriott:
> Is it worth asking for a replacement?

I probably wouldn't bother. Ropes are normally longer than advertised anyway, so you 'win' in that sense and are aware of the slight anomaly.
Removed User 17 Mar 2013

If it bothers you too much or you see it as a problem you could cut the extra 2 metres off.

Or take it back to the shop. Check the next one before you leave the shop though.
 Neil Williams 17 Mar 2013

They always seem to be a bit off. If you want to know exactly, flake it out from the two ends and you'll get the actual middle.

Neil
 mattbell 17 Mar 2013
In reply to shaymarriott: fold it in half, add a second symmetrical mark - you'll know where the middle is then
 TobyA 17 Mar 2013
In reply to shaymarriott: How did you find the middle wasn't the middle? When lap coiling it from the middle? I do this all the time, and think "that marker is never in the middle!", so I start from the two ends together and go through it carefully - and find invariably it is in the middle.

I think we all just let a bit one half of the rope slip through our fingers when lap coiling then it *SEEMS* the middle marker isn't in the middle, but it probably is. Throw it down a 25 mtr cliff with the middle marker round a tree and see what happens!
The Papa Lazarou 17 Mar 2013
In reply to shaymarriott: if you use it regularly & get it wet/muddy/covered in snow/slush etc(normal rope abuse) it'll soon wear off anyhow
 krikoman 17 Mar 2013
In reply to shaymarriott: Use some matches or a lighter to mark the real centre, this way you can "feel" the crispy centre which is useful if you need to coil your rope in the dark.
OP shaymarriott 17 Mar 2013
In reply to krikoman:

Went the whole hog used a lighter to mark all but the centre - feel for the rope through the crispiness...

=D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...