UKC

Scarpa Charmoz and G12 crampons?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayPee630 18 Mar 2013
Thinking of getting myself some new and lighter boots (Scarpa Charmoz) to use for walking, scrambling, easy climbs - both winter and summer.

Currently I use La Sportiva Nepal Extremes with the G12s, but don't want to have to get new crampons as well, so was wondering if the Scarpa Charmoz work with the G12s OK?

Anyone use this combination? How do you find it?
 cat22 18 Mar 2013
In reply to JayPee630: I've had both for about 5 years and they're great - only use them for relatively easy stuff though. Superb boots.
 Brev 18 Mar 2013
In reply to JayPee630:

I've been using both for a few years as well now. I find the Charmoz ideal and have basically used them for about everything I've done in the last few years; from walking in Scotland to easy 4-5000m peaks. I've used them for winter climbs up to grade III, and they've been absolutely fine. Having said that, I've never used B3 boots, so don't know how it compares to that.
 BnB 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Brev: I have the Charmoz with Grivel Airtech 12s. Great combination. Not one crampon has popped off in 2 winters. Also very confortable and light boot. Again have taken up to winter III without problem.
 Cadairmanuk 18 Mar 2013
In reply to JayPee630:

Another one here using this set up. Wales , lakes ,Scotland up to grade 3 and find there great. Never had an issue.

Ben
 veteye 18 Mar 2013
In reply to JayPee630:
I too have used Charmoz boots with G12/G14s and climbed up to III/IV.
I love the Charmoz.Rock climbed up to S/HS in them.They were fine on the Papillons ridge (Aig Peigne).The only problem has been that I occasionally have started to feel the cold a little more if on a more severe/cold day.
Mine need re-soling, and do not know if this will be worthwhile.In the meantime I used Mont Blanc's due to the Charmoz tread going.I suspect that the tread does not last as long as on some boots.
Rob
OP JayPee630 19 Mar 2013
In reply to veteye:

Thanks all, looks like a good combo. The G12s aren't the best ft on my Sportivas!
OP JayPee630 19 Mar 2013
In reply to JayPee630:

Oh, just seen these, an update to the Charmoz due out it seems... might hold out and try them on.

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/mens-charmoz-pro-gtx/8136
 craig1983 19 Mar 2013
In reply to JayPee630:

If you liked your La Sportivas then maybe also check out the Trango Alps...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...