UKC

Advice - Tall/slim fit down jackets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DaveDavina 19 Mar 2013
Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are climbing Kili this December and we're looking for down jackets to use in camp and on the final ascent day. We're both pretty slim people so getting a good fit in outdoor wear can be tricky. I'm sorted with a Mountain Equipment Sigma jacket which fits a treat, but we're not having much luck finding a good one for him as he's also pretty tall (6'2"). He's already tried the Mountain Equipment Classic Lightline, the Rab Neutrino, and the Rab Microlight Alpine Jacket - all were way too short and wide in the body, and short in the arm.

Can anyone suggest a good slim fit down jacket for a tall slim man? We're looking for 650+ fill power or more.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Dave
 Mr Ed 19 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveDavina:

I got a haglofs bivvy down jacket recently. Excellent slim cut and long arms. Only downside is it's quite a light fill and no hood but haglofs seem to be the best cut of all the major brands.
 Lukeva 19 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveDavina: I find that the current tech clothing is all slim fit, long arms etc. Surprised you are struggling. ME, Rab, Marmot TNF etc all seem to be this way. I'm 6'4 & 13 1/2 st. and my gear fits brill. What size RAB and ME gear is he trying, I'm guessing L is too baggy, and M is too short?... But I have several RAB garments in M admittedly they are a tight fit (but that’s good for layering and function)and are comfy/stretch, but are ok in the arm, and some L as outer layers. Having said that my RAB belay jacket in L is BIG, but that’s the idea?
 Lukeva 19 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveDavina: O yea my down jacket is Alpkit in L, tis a wee bit short in the arm... sorry not much help really
 Sam Warby 19 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveDavina: I'm 6ft 5" and find Arcteryx, Rab and patagonia fit well
 Damo 19 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveDavina:

Haglofs, Norrona or, if $$ not an issue, PHD.

I'm 6' 7" 92kg, 47" chest and 34" waist. I can't picture who Rab think they're making their down jackets for...
 Thrudge 19 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveDavina:
I'm only 6ft, but I find most down jackets are either too short or they ride up and become too short. I end up feeling like I'm wearing a bolero jacket. Montane North Star sorted that out a treat. It's long and it doesn't ride up. It's also the warmest down jacket I've ever had (previous are ME, MH, and Rab) whilst at the same time being the thinnest. Brilliant bit of kit.
 Thrudge 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Damo:
> I can't picture who Rab think they're making their down jackets for...

If the Vapour Rise jacket is anything to go by, they're making them for the sort of gentleman who becomes peckish and decides to eat all the pies.
 Damo 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Tony Naylor:

I was going to suggest the same thing, with regard to the decimation of pie stocks, but had a rare moment of restraint. It annoys me even more because certain garments require a close fit in order to do their job - wicking, insulation etc. If they're too baggy they (baselayers) either let sweat vapour condense or (insulation) make it too hard to trap air. If they don't fit they don't work.
 iksander 19 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveDavina: 6' 3" and ME Omega fits me great. Yes short in the body, but that's so it doesn't interfere overly with your harness etc. Most are generous fitting in the body so you can chuck on over other layers.
 And Climb 19 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveDavina: The montane north star is quite long. The Rab Neutrino Endurance is alright. Maybe just a tad too short. I'm 6 foot 2.
DaveDavina 19 Mar 2013
Wow guys, thanks for such a rapid response! This is my first post on the forum and I really appreciate all the recommendations. I love the ME gear and thought PHD was great quality (though unfortunately way too big for me). I'll pass all this on and he can start trying more jackets. Luckily we have 9 months to find something!
DaveDavina 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Lukeva: He has some Rab midlayers in L which fit well, but yes both the L and XL in the down Neutrino jacket were just too short in the arm, and whilst he'd want some extra space for layers you could have fitted a second person in the rest of it unfortunately.
 SFM 22 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveDavina:

I find Montane pretty slim fitting. I'm a skinny too and fits me well. Just watch out for the arm length though.
Also worth looking at Howies and maybe Alpkit. I think they cut on the slim side too. Maybe someone else can confirm or debunk that though.

Anyone think of any Dutch brands? They must be cut for tall folk.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...