UKC

Via Ferrata route recomendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GF 23 Mar 2013
Has anybody got any route recommendations for first time via ferratists in the Arraba area of the Dolomites?
 Phil1919 23 Mar 2013
In reply to GF: We used the Cicerone guide book. Did one in Arraba, and most of the ones in Corvara (nearby). All were good. Number 7, Fassa area was probably the one I'd go back for of the ones we did. Biggish day out. Tridentina route, Corvara, would be a good one to get to know some Italians on if you had a late start. Lovely mountains.
 Phil1919 23 Mar 2013
In reply to GF: As a first timer, if you use the guide book, and go by the grades, you will be fine.
 Monkey_Alan 23 Mar 2013
In reply to GF:
From Arabba, Via Delle Trincee is a must. Different rock to most of the Dolomites, and some good tunnels to explore at the end.
 Mike-W-99 23 Mar 2013
In reply to GF:
Tridentina is good but you need an early start to avoid the queues. Excellent hut at the top.
 Brass Nipples 23 Mar 2013
In reply to GF:

Cicerone Guidebook vol 2. Is what you need
 digby 23 Mar 2013
In reply to Monkey_Alan:

2nd that. And fun to try and climb it properly, not just hauling on the wire like everyone else. The views of Marmolada are stunning.
 upupup 23 Mar 2013
In reply to GF:
me and some lads spent two weeks there couple of years back.

definitely agree start early; otherwise you spend the entire day having to try and pass a lot of very fat and slow oldies! We used to make sure we were on the bottom of a route by about 6:30. That way we had the entire place to ourselves and meant could spend the afternoon after a long route sitting around the campsite with generously sized bottles of wine playing cards!

Punta Ana was our favourite by far. A very long day but brilliant climbing and some fantastic exposure.
 digby 23 Mar 2013
In reply to dbdmilton:

Opposite the Via Delle Trincee at the left end of the Marmolada is the VF Punta Serauta. When I saw it 2 years ago the wires were very detached and the route was 'closed'. Looking at http://www.summitpost.org/punta-serauta-via-eterna-brigata-cadore/431870 it seems the wires have been largely renovated. Standing at the foot of the slab is an awesome experience as it soars away into space. I think it's a pretty serious route and probably wouldn't be crowded. I'd certainly love to do it.
 Mike-W-99 23 Mar 2013
In reply to digby:
Thanks for that, was wanting to do this one. The marmolada is a spectacular lump of rock.
 sarahjk 23 Mar 2013
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

Tridentina. Fabulous route, and take the alternative, slightly longer and less harshly steep walk out. We also did a newly put up route, not far from there, 30 min drive max, but cant remember the name. And another brilliant route that went along a ridge, through some tunnels and we could see all the battlements and historic relics.

Brought the whole 'adventure' into perspective.
 Phill Mitch 23 Mar 2013
In reply to GF: Just do as many as poss you will have an ace time, enjoy.
 Toerag 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Phil1919:
> (In reply to GF) As a first timer, if you use the guide book, and go by the grades, you will be fine.

^ what he said. VF Vallon (kind of above VF Piz Da Lech) may or may not be doeable - the lower part was in a state a few years ago. Look on the proper VF websites to find out the latest info.
 Chris the Tall 24 Mar 2013
In reply to GF:
Tchirspitze above Corvara is always a good intro. Only grade 2 but fun.

Bear in mind that even if you are an experienced climber then it still takes a bit of time to get used to the clipping process.

Tridentina is excellent, not much harder, but very popular.
 Brass Nipples 24 Mar 2013
In reply to GF:

If you are an experienced alpinists then the marmalade west face via Ferrata, followed by glacier descent is to be recommended.
 Gone 24 Mar 2013
In reply to sarahkeast:

The new one could be VF Col de Bos also known as VF Degli Alpini, or VF Sandro Pertini, or VF Sci Club 18. All of which I prefer to Tridentina, but maybe I caught it on a bad day.

The ridge and tunnels one is probably Trincee, one of my all time faves.

Tomaselli and Piazzetta are also favourites of mine. Harder than the others but lovely rock to climb as well as the views etc.
 Gone 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Gone:

Also try this book which has the new VFs which haven't made it into Cicerone. It is in German but there is an English translation of the main description of each, and a lot of it is pictorial or numeric so you don't need to be good at German.

http://www.alpinverlag.at/buecher/klettersteigfuehrer_dolomiten.html
OP GF 24 Mar 2013
I suspect that a comparison can't be made but are the 1 to 5 grades used in the guide more comparible to scrambling grades or climbing grades?
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 25 Mar 2013
In reply to GF: Not really relevant to either. A grade 1 is essentially a path with a drop and one side and a wire (protected path). The 5's are pretty steep.

I'd go with Chris' advice and start on something like Cir Spitz (Piz de Cir). Is a good half day grade 2, with great scenery.

In terms of which ones to do they're all good! Via Ferrata Alleghesi on Civetta is my personal favourite (but be prepared for a long day).

Enjoy your trip!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...