UKC

Best shoes for climbing that aren't rock boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oo 24 Mar 2013
I think this is a new one for the UKC collective to mull over...

I help out with Scouts and get involved with taking kids climbing outdoors. Needless to say, none of them have rock boots. When sending them a kit list of what to bring I'm wondering what's the best advice for shoes? I've not tried climbing in anything other than specific climbing shoes. None of them are going to buy anything for this, I just want to give them advice to decide which of their current shoes is best so they can enjoy their climbing and make a bit more progress.

Smooth sole or with tread?
Stiff or flexible?
Boot or trainer?
Wet suit shoes, plimsoles, ballet slippers, anything else a child might have?
KieranD 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Oo: When I take my Scouts climbing, I always recommend they bring footwear that is fairly well fitting. Alot of them get some plimsoles/pumps from somewhere like primark for a couple of pounds and use them. They work quite well and arent massively expensive to purchase or replace.
 martinph78 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Oo: I'd go with trainers, most kids will have those.
 marsbar 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Oo: Trainers or plimsoles. Not wetsuit shoes, most have no support under the foot and will be painful. Have you asked around, some Scout groups/districts/counties have some basic rock boots as part of their kit so you may be able to borrow some.
 marsbar 24 Mar 2013
In reply to marsbar: Most kids climb fine in trainers as long as they aren't 2 sizes too big.
In reply to Oo: I'd say it depends on the rock type. On rough rocks (granite, gritstone) pretty much any footwear will be fine, however on some limestone you'll struggle badly in trainers.

Decent (i.e. leather) walking boots with a traditional Vibram sole are generally an excellent option. They will give good edging performance and will also smear well. Unfortunately, the vast majority of cheaper fabric walking boots of the type Scouts are likely to own these days won't be much better than many trainers.

As mentioned, 'Primark' or other cheap plimsoles are a decent option, but I'd have a check in a store before hand and give a fairly specific
recommendation if you find that they have something suitable.

The only other thing worth emphasising is for the Scouts not to wear anything particularly expensive if you are climbing on rougher rocks. Granite or grit cracks can trash trainers or 'fashionable' approach shoes in very short order.
 ianstevens 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Oo: Another recommendation for cheap plimsols. Converse are also decent, although I'm not to sure how many parents would want to send their kids climbing in a £30/40 pair of trainers. Walking boots are however, terrible.
OP Oo 26 Mar 2013
Thanks for all the help, will have a look at some cheapy plimsolls and suggest those.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...