UKC

Is Rapha kit always disappointing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Static 27 Mar 2013
Probably foolish I know but I keep trying with Rapha stuff because I like the idea of well designed British kit that really works but it has been disappointing every time; wrong shape, wrong materials or just not up to the job.

Im starting to think Rapha is only any good for poncing round London on a singlespeed rather than doing any actual cycling. Have learnt my lesson and will stick with Endura.

Just wondering if anyone has got any of their stuff that they think is worth the money?

Arms Cliff 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Static: Do you have specific examples? I have a few bits and am very happy with them. Size is one thing but I think their materials are excellent. The only item that I have that isn't really up to the task are the winter gloves which aren't thick enough (more like late autumn/ early spring gloves!).

I've not got many things new, mainly from the bay or sample sales so the starting price has been less of an issue too.
 Tall Clare 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Static:

Mr TC has Rapha 'legs' and apart from the 'rapha' lettering peeling off, they've withstood a fair hammering. He can also report that he's very happy with his Winter Cap (i.e. it has to be wrestled off him)
 andy 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Static: i've got several jerseys, a winter cap, a few pairs of socks and a waterproof and i think they're all top kit. Don't have any shorts as my gonads like Assos, but i usually buy something in the sale.

Our club did have a 20% discount code but sadly that's run out.
In reply to Static: I'm a Rapha Fan. I've got shorts, merino and LW shirts and a Wind Top and they're all excellent. I also own plenty of other makes - Assos, Casteli and bits from Xteondo so plenty to compare it to. I ride 200 - 300km most weeks so definately not 'poncing round London'
 Toby_W 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Static:
I can't imagine anything being better than my assos shorts and if there is such a thing I don't want to know about it unless it's cheaper.

Cheers

Toby
 Enty 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Static:

I run cycling holidays in the south of France and Spain. I just got an email from a guy who wanted to know what detergent we use when we wash our guest's clobber after a day's ride. (I'm serious!)
I don't think he wears Castelli or Santini

E
 Tricky Dicky 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Static)
>
> I just got an email from a guy who wanted to know what detergent we use when we wash our guest's clobber after a day's ride. (I'm serious!)
>

Maybe he's allergic to bio detergent (a lot of folk are)...

Enty 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Tricky Dicky:

He mentioned expensive cycling gear in his email - no problem to us as laundry is part of the service.
It's just that I've been in Mallorca sharing a hotel with about 300 other cyclists (some pros) and not one of them used the laundry facilities. Box of powder and the shower is the old pro trick.

We get all types of allergies here - like the ceoliac who ate a bowl of pasta for lunch but not at ours in the evening
And there was the "vegetarian" who only ate animals with small eyes

I'm going to write a book.

E
In reply to Enty:

Class!
 Arms Cliff 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Enty: There was quite a good interview with the Rapha designers about the challenges of having to make the Sky kit able to stand up to hot wash and tumble dry after a stage, rather than being able to put 30 degree labels on everything!

ah here it is http://www.cyclinginquisition.com/2013/01/from-wind-tunnel-testing-to-washi...
 Enty 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Arms Cliff:

I have to admit I'm tempted by Stannard's Rapha Nationional Champs jersey - very cool. Breaks all the rules but might look ok here in France.

E
 Arms Cliff 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Enty: haha the 'rules'; for every punter I overtake in a Sky kit there's been someone flying past me in Quickstep shorts or a Slipstream jersey!
 sleavesley 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Arms Cliff: I break the rules when I wear a cofidis gilet. It cost me £30 brand new (end of season 2012) and its decent made by nalini that's why I wear it!
 jamesc88 28 Mar 2013
In reply to sleavesley: > Cofidis

And everyone thinks you're a drugs cheat? (I'm just jealous)

I swear by my Rapha Classic bibs, super super comfy, the rest of it is a bit 'meh'. My only issue with them is they are fooking LONG in the leg.

I have a not-so-secret love affair with DHB (Wiggles own) jerseys. Windslam is fantastic, had it about a year and a half and worn it probably 250 days?
 sleavesley 28 Mar 2013
In reply to jamesc88: I too rely on the dhb stuff. Have the roubaix bib tights with windslam which are nice when its like it is now. Coupled with the windslam roubaix jersey, its comfortably warm (have the gilet on too).
Have their summer pro bib tits too which are great.

Would have to win the lotto for some Assos or Rapha gear. Would rather spend the money on the bike!
 Indy 28 Mar 2013
In reply to jamesc88:
Thanks to you and others for the heads up on DHB much more my price range.

Was walking past a shop in London that was showing some cycling. They had some comfy chairs and related magazines so stopped off to watch. After 20 odd minutes felt a bit like I should buy something so ordered an expresso and a slice of cake. I think, only think! I got change from 7 quid.
And there you have my one and only experience of Rapha.
 sleavesley 28 Mar 2013
In reply to sleavesley: that should read bib kits, I haven't got the bib tits as they were out of stock!
 Hat Dude 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Static:

Have you looked at Lusso kit; made in the UK & any stuff I've had from them has been good quality
 Enty 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Hat Dude:

I had some Lusso longs made out of that Roubaix lycra - lasted me through many winters.

E
 Arms Cliff 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Hat Dude: That Lusso kit is a great exampe of why Rapha is popular: besides the black tights and shorts everything looks pretty horrible! e.g. http://www.lusso-clothing.co.uk/epages/BT14451.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...