Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Who makes this belay jacket?

Carolyn - on 28 Mar 2013
OK, it's another lazy "which belay jacket" question. But I do know what I want it to do, honest, just trying to narrow down models to try a bit.... and the gear geeks on UKC did me a good job on finding softshell trousers with built in gaiters, so I'm trying you again ;-)

Use is largely British winter (into spring/autumn). Either as an extra layer for any sitting around on easy routes, or mountain rescue stuff - both much the same kind of thing really - stomping up the hill quite fast carrying lots of kit, then sitting or standing around somewhere exposed for a fair length of time - a number of hours if it's a rescue team practice.

So...
- needs to be cut to fit over a fair deal of clothing - typically at least base layer or two with a Paramo Velez over the top
- needs a hood that'll fit over helmet
- needs to be pretty warm & lofty, not one of the thinner jackets
- needs to give some access to harness (enough to be able to clip into belay, but I'm unlikely to be trying to access gear loops whilst precariously balanced on the lead)
- would be good if it packed into itself and clipped onto harness, but I can always sort a seperate bag for this
- reasonably easy to open up and lose some heat, as once it's on there's often not much chance to stop and take it off until down in valley - full zip rather than smock?
- needs to cope OK with damp British weather
- and, probably most likely to fit if it comes in a women's fit, as if I go large enough in a men's to fit at hip level, there's a load of spare space round chest to lose heat from. (I'm usually a women's small)

Paramo Torres stuff is possibility, but it's only in unisex sizing and the XS is still fairly roomy. And it's a smock, which I think has more disadvantages than advantages, but might work.

But what else?

I've used a down jacket with water resistent outer shell very happily a few times this winter, but would prefer a synthetic version for when it's not so far below freezing and getting damp is an issue....
... not showing 17 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums