/ Advice on base layers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
lambertsonsunshine - on 28 Mar 2013
Hi,

I noticed in the spring issue of Trail Magazine a feature on base layers. In there they recommended a base layer called Xcelcius Megatherm for extreme cold for temperatures down to -25oC. I have checked out their website http://www.xcelcius.co.uk/products/xcelcius-megatherm-mens-long-sleeve-top.html and it looks good but was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this brand or company.

Thanks,
Sonny
In reply to lambertsonsunshine: You wouldn't by any chance happen to work for them would you?
Carolyn - on 28 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Why Toby, what on earth makes you think that might be the case?
deepsoup - on 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Carolyn:
It often does turn out to be the case when a person's first ever post on here (or any forum) is plugging some product or other. (Usually in the form of "I discovered this.." or "What do you think of this...")
Carolyn - on 28 Mar 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

I know, I've been here long enough, I was teasing.... ;-)
Turdus torquatus on 28 Mar 2013
In reply to lambertsonsunshine:

Xcelcius? From Wikipedia:

"Celcius is the fourth studio album by rapper Tech N9ne" whereas "Celsius, also known as centigrade, is a scale and unit of measurement for temperature".

Is this product aimed at extreme rappers?
Hi, no don't work for the company or have any thing to do with them. I can understand the sceptiscm but its a shame people have to be so suspicious. Was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of their products?
In reply to Carolyn:
D'Oh! Of course you were. I'm a bit dim today. ;o)
> Was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of their products?

Not only do I not, I have no idea what "certified down to -25C" actually means.
Who gives out the certificates?
If your base layer is exposed to those kinds of temperatures, shouldn't you be putting more clothes on?
Glyno - on 28 Mar 2013

they're rubbish mate, I'd steer well clear.
Haha, thanks for your help guys! Guess I am in the wrong place for some helpful advice. All u had to say was sorry not heard of the before! I don't know about the certified thing either so was hoping for some help. I have been in this forum for over a year now but this is my first post as t is the first time I had something to ask. Nevermind!
captain paranoia - on 28 Mar 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

> Not only do I not, I have no idea what "certified down to -25C" actually means.

Perhaps it means you'd have to be certified to wear just the base layer at -25C...
ads.ukclimbing.com
captain paranoia - on 28 Mar 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

"Viloft is made from wood pulp which increases thermal performance."

Another good one. It's just cellulose acetate, aka Rayon, aka Viscose, aka Modal aka...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayon

Having said that, I like the North Cape RhovylTherm base layers I've got, for cold weather use. And they're a similar mix of Modal (cellulose acetate) and polyester. They're probably about the same weight as these, and warm. But they do hang on to sweat; not surprisingly, since it's quite a thick fabric.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.