UKC

Wintour’s Leap and Shorn Cliff – Easter reminders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Sewards 28 Mar 2013
For anyone planning to climb at Wintour’s Leap over the Easter weekend, can I please ask you to keep eyes and ears open for peregrines and be prepared to move to another part of the crag (and if already on route, to retreat if safe to do so) if it turns out they are nesting in the area you were planning to climb. There are no restrictions as yet, as we don’t know whether or where they are nesting (they didn’t last year, but did the previous few years, at several different sites), but they may well be needed. I will try to have a look tomorrow but am not around for the rest of the weekend. If you find a nest and are able to post on here, that would be very helpful – if you’re able to put up a temporary warning note on-site that would be even better.

I’m certainly not trying to discourage anyone from climbing there - it’s a big crag and there’ll be plenty of routes available even if one section is occupied. I actually suspect it will be a pretty good place to be this weekend – totally sheltered from Easterlies, and a forecast of some sunshine at least.

Also, apparently the wooden marker posts have temporarily disappeared at Shorn Cliff, presumably due to forestry work. The leaves aren’t out yet so you should still be able to find the crag! In the unfortunate event of a serious accident, it makes it even more important that somebody gets down to the track to guide the rescuers.

Cheers

Rick Sewards
Wye Valley Access Rep
OP Rick Sewards 31 Mar 2013
In reply to Rick Sewards:

Very briefly, as I'm just about to dash out - they appear to have chosen GO Wall, nesting on the big pitch of The Burning Giraffe. Unfortunately this appears to give them a grandstand view of the upper wall between (roughly) Big Dong and the Isle of Dogs. King Kong and the routes to its left will be OK, as are the routes going straight up from the Terrace and the Pedestal at the RH end, and stuff below the overhangs, but please for the time being avoid routes that go through the upper part of GO Wall between Howling at the Moon and Joe the Lion inclusive.

Thanks
Rick
 The Ivanator 31 Mar 2013
In reply to Rick Sewards: Hi Rick, Did you pick up on my post regarding rockfall on Papillon (Fly Wall) back at the beginning of March?
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=541059&v=1#x7247875
Ivan
Removed User 31 Mar 2013
In reply to Rick Sewards: Rick, I think they may be in the little cave halfway up Kama Sutra. If so that would put the whole of the Pedestal area out but maybe not the main section of the Wall. The bottom of Perfumed Garden has fallen off!

Also the EWD is in urgent need of a clean up. Somebody has been flytipping again.
OP Rick Sewards 31 Mar 2013
In reply to Removed UserJohn Willson:

Hi John

I spent a bit of time watching (from both sides of the river) yesterday and it's a bit confusing, as they seem to be spending time at 2 locations on GO Wall - partly on the Burning Giraffe (roughly where Vulture Squadron crosses) and partly on the terrace above Kama Sutra (left of the finish of Nightmare of Brown Sugar) - I came to the conclusion that they were nesting at the former and roosting/feeding or whatever at the latter, though I'm not absolutely sure. I don't think they're on/in KS itself - I went up onto the terrace (over the remains of the Perfumed Garden!) and that didn't seem to cause any disturbance. I'll go down tomorrow morning and try to work out for definite what they're doing and put some temporary signs up - I agree that if they're nesting on the far right hand end then only the Pedestal area is affected

I think the Perfumed Garden collapse was mentioned on here a few weeks ago - it definitely won't be HVS any more! Kama Sutra will have to be the start of the Burning Giraffe instead (which I think it was originally anyway?).

Will organise a small scale clean-up of the EWD shortly - 2 televisions and some bags of brown pellets - no idea what the latter are - any idea?

Ivan - will have a look at Papillon tomorrow while I'm down there - I saw your posting but had forgotten about it - thanks for the reminder.

Rick
OP Rick Sewards 01 Apr 2013
In reply to all:

Given the uncertainty over the exact nest site, please could you temporarily avoid all routes on GO Wall to the right of King Kong - this is an interim measure while the location is clarified. A warning note has been placed on site (many thanks John). I've been in contact with the Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust and once we know for certain where the nest is we'll put a more specific restriction in place.

Thanks

Rick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...