UKC

North Face Makalu insulated jacket, black, large

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Denni 30 Mar 2013
Hi folks,

I'm selling a North Face Makalu insulated jacket. Perfect for winter mountaineering, skiing and climbing. Made with Hyvent Alpha so not your standard Hyvent outer, full waterproof and insulated with primaloft. Helmet compatible hood and really perfect for Scottish winter. On par with the Patagonia Winter Sun hoody which my friend uses for MR. Size large in black so perfect for 43-46 chest

This has literally been worn once and I still have the tags so essentially, brand new. Full spec below and a bargain price of £130 or very nearest offer. Price includes next day delivery and payment via paypal please.

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?products_id=202028

The North Face Men’s Makalu Insulated Jacket. The insulation has been beefed up and it has been made into a helmet-compatible jacket for cold weather expeditions. This rugged, warm yet light jacket is the perfect mountain companion for the worst weather. The waterproof HyVent® Alpha shell blocks out rain and snow. Inside, warm when wet Primaloft® One insulation levels are body mapped to achieve the optimal warmth and packability ratio. Peak bound features include a sleek, fully adjustable swivel hood with a laminated brim and amply sized pockets for necessities. Cinch corded hem for a secure fit. Summit Series™ approved. Basically a waterproof warmer redpont optimus, choose The North Face Men’s Makalu Insulated Jacket for epic mountain outings.

The North Face Men’s Makalu Insulated Jacket Features and Specifications:
PrimaLoft® One insulation is warm even when wet
Zip handwarmerpockets are generous and easy to access
Interior pocket–accessed bottom cinch
Weight Approx. 708g

Hyvent® Alpha
HyVent® is a superior technology utilising a polyurethane (PU) coating that consists of a tri-component mutli-layer formula for waterproof protection, moisture permeability and durability. HyVent® Alpha fabric is used in the Summit Series® collection. This burly, waterproof fabric utilises a micro porous, hydrophobic lamination technology that retains its capabilities in even the most severe conditions. HyVent® DT uses the same principle as HyVent® coating but the thickness of the third layer is reduced making this waterproof fabric more lightweight, packable, and more breathable than other unlined treated fabrics. HyVent® DT is created by applying a polyurethane (PU) coating which acts as a dry-touch, half-layer coating that adds durability and comfort by physically separating the HyVent® DT PU coating from the skin, thereby eliminating the need for a liner. HyVent® 3-Layer fabric utilises a three-layer construction to stay simultaneously breathable and waterproof in extreme conditions.

Primaloft®
Primaloft® is the ideal material for going fast and light due to its superior compressibility and softness in an ultralight package, making it ideal for high-paced adventures where travelling small and light is key.

PrimaLoft® ONE is the highest performing insulation on the market for warmth, water resistance, softness and compressibility. PrimaLoft® ONE is an ultra-fine microfiber insulation that is as warm, soft and lightweight, and is warmer wet or dry than all other insulations.
Ultra-fine fibers form tiny air pockets that trap body heat and keep the cold out. The result is immediate warmth without the bulk. PrimaLoft® ONE Microfibers are engineered for permanent water resistance and create tight surface tension that resists moisture penetration, resulting in an insulation that dries faster than goose down. Ultra-fine fibers mimic the compressibility of goose down and are breathable, allowing moisture vapor to be transported through the fibers and away from the skin.
PrimaLoft® ONE Ultimate Performance, Warmth and Comfort
Excellent Thermally Efficiency
Superior Water Resistance
Dries Faster than Down
Lightweight and Breathable
As Warm, Soft and Compressible as Down
Wind Resistant
 Mike7 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni:

If you don't mind my asking, why the sale? I seem to recall you saying earlier you had borrowed your friend's jacket and absolutely loved it.
OP Denni 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Mike7:
Hi Mike,
I need a size extra large
Jacket now sold, thanks for the interest, Den
 Mike7 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni:

Deni,

Do they tend to run small, or did you just buy the wrong size?

I've not tried one on but they're for sale at Brighams etc & my Barrier Hoody has seen better days...
bingo 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Mike7:

Hi Mike,not Deni, but thought I could help, I have just bought the NF Makalu from Ellis Brigham, 40% off,great buy.

I'm normally a medium in jackets, can sometimes get away with a small, depending on arm length.
I went for the mediun in the Makalu, could maybe have got away with a small, but wanted to be able to add a beefy fleece under if needs be.

So, I would say they are slightly on the large size, but not by a lot.

An absolutely great jacket, used it loads over the last few weeks since I've had it
OP Denni 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Mike7:

Hi Mike,
apologies, only just saw that you had asked a question.
The only main reason I changed the size was the arm length. I have longer than most arms for some reason and I felt they were slightly too short. This means that the jacket is slightly too big all round now apart from the arms but it Isn't really that noticeable.

Chest wise, it states 43-46 for a size large and I'm a 44 and it is spot on. With the large, a HH baselayer, t shirt on top and a thin fleece and it fits absolutely perfectly.

It really is an excellent jacket and probably overlooked by a lot of people due to the North Face badge but it is warm and with the Hyvent Alpha, waterproof. No frills, helmet compatible, great pockets, can't rate it highly enough.

I've had a Barrier Hoody in the past and with Haglofs I'm a size XL for some reason. If you can get one at a decent price, you won't be disappointed. If it doesn't fit you, try the Patagonia Winter Sun, same thing and bloody awesome as well.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on. Den

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...