UKC

Edelrid Single Rope advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 05 Apr 2013
I'm looking to get a new 70m rope and having always had edelrid ropes I think I'm going to stick with them if possible as they seem to last a good length of time.

I need one mainly for trips abroad at the moment and I plan to use it for 6 or so weeks at Ceuse this summer where I'll probably work quite a few routes. So it needs to be robust ideally.

The ropes I've looked at are...

Viper - 9.6mm - will this be too thin for general use if I wanted to work routes etc?

Heron - 9.8mm - I used this at the weekend and it seemed to handle well and it's got a dry coating which is a bonus.

Boa - 9.8mm - Not used or read anything about this rope.

Perfect - 10mm - Only available at gooutdoors so not as much info available about it.

Has anyone got a recommendation from the above?

Thanks
 knighty 05 Apr 2013
In reply to James Malloch:

i have only used my Edelrid Perfect, but it seems to handle really well and even after plenty of outdoor use does not have visible wear. No dry treatment, but I figured that when it's wet I won't be climbing (I don't do winter/ice climbing).

Knighty
 Sean_J 05 Apr 2013
In reply to James Malloch: Ones with dry treatment seem to last better than non-dry treated ones, even if they never get wet - something to do with the fibres rubbing against each other's dry treatment coating rather than fibres rubbing directly on fibres or something like that.

I've got an Edelrid Eagle - 9.8mm, looks to be similar to the Heron but it laos has the Pro Shield treatment - something to do with reducing friction and thus wear between fibres I think. Used it a fair bit but not loads, and it's great so far. Nice and supple to handle, no signs of wear, feels nice and 'round' instead of flattening out over krabs etc like some do under load, and it's light enough to redpoint on but beefy enough to work routes with too.

I think you have the Boa already, as your indoor rope - or maybe it's the Python, I forget. The Boa and Perfect look like the budget ropes, Viper maybe a bit thin for working routes (and not much of a weight saving compared to the 9.8 ropes).

If you're thinking of other ropes too, the Sterling Velocity is brilliant but it does cost more then the Edelrids I think. The Depot might have one on sale if you call them up, they had some at 30% off RRP...

Hope that helps!
OP James Malloch 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Sean_J: I'll try get a look at the perfect soon then, was just a bit wary with it being their own rope.

I've the python and the cobra sean, both nice ropes. Luke has recommended the boa also though so I'll have a look at that.

Will give the depot a call and see what they have in, will pay a bit more if it's worth it and I could be tempted away from edelrid. Is the eagle the one that you got from leeds wall last summer?
 Steve nevers 06 Apr 2013
In reply to James Malloch: I've got a Edelrid Hawk 10mm thats seems a nice rope. Nice handling, runs well but lacks dry treating.

Perfect is perfect
 tomwalton 07 Apr 2013
Using the Boa now as it was a good price for a 70m.

Slick handling so far with no kinking like me last rope, very happy with it.
Removed User 09 Apr 2013
I'm using an Edelrid Cobra (I think 10.3mm) and it's lasting really well. No noticable furring or anything and it's been treated fairly roughly for over a year now. It does seem to kink a lot though, could be due to grigri.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...