UKC

Sportiva Trango S Evo GTX - longevity?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sonar 10 Apr 2013
Hello
My girlfriend is thinking about getting a pair of La Sportiva Trango S Evo gtx for general mountain climbs / scrambling and walking in to more remote crags -

She has read a few reviews on the short lifespan of the boot and I was wondering if anyone has any direct experience?

Thanks in advance
Alex
 wilkie14c 10 Apr 2013
In reply to FlyingSaucerAttack:
there are 2 model I think, the light and the ones I have the extreme <warmer, more suited to UK winter> Anyhoo, mine have jsut finished their 2nd uk winter season and a week in the alps and no problems at all with mine. First pair of boots that fit like slippers in 25 years actually! HTH
 mrchewy 10 Apr 2013
In reply to FlyingSaucerAttack: My mate goes through a pair of the Trango S boots every two years. He wore a pair on the Cuillin that were new at the start of the week and half worn on the sole when we left. He's never had a pair leak.
 wilkie14c 10 Apr 2013
In reply to mrchewy: Mine have done 5 days on skye and the soles are fine, I wonder if there is a difference of sole between the light and extreme versions
sonar 10 Apr 2013

Great - thanks for the info.
I think she is thinking about the extreme model.
Thanks again.
Alex
alan1961 10 Apr 2013
In reply to FlyingSaucerAttack: Mine and the wifes have had three years hard wear and are still in excellent nick. One of the best pair of boots I've ever owned.
 wilkie14c 10 Apr 2013
BTW crampon wise I've had G14s with standard bar and now I'm on G20s. Both fit well but the G20s are an exceptional fit, tight, light and rock solid
 xplorer 10 Apr 2013

We are talking about these aren't we

http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Gear-Reviews/Search-Results/Footwear/La-S...

I think area people maybe confused

I had a pair for a year, still in cracking condition, with quite heavy use
Oliiver 10 Apr 2013
In reply to FlyingSaucerAttack: are they comfortable to walk in?

Hey bud,

I own two models of this boot, the s evo and the evo extreme, as does my partner.

They are, to put it simply, awesome boots.

In terms of life span it is just very dependant on what you're doing with them.
The only thing I've noticed with the s evos is that the sole unit is wearing -quicker than others boots- but they have had _alot_ of use over the last two years including an alpine trip, a Cuillin trip lots of hillwalking and plenty scrambling. This is due to the fact that the rubber is intentionally soft to give you grip on rock though.

So if you want a great fitting* boot that will look after her feet and work well on rock you cannot go wrong with these.

If however you want something that wont wear as quickly, Just be prepared for rubbish performance on rock!

*for me. I do suggest your partner tries them on in store first.

In reply to Oliiver:

one of the most comfortable boots ive owned. try them on first though. just because theyre amazing for most folk doesnt mean they'll fit you!
 TobyA 10 Apr 2013
In reply to FlyingSaucerAttack: I bought my Trango Ss in 2001, so they are 12 years old now I guess, I've never used them huge amounts - a few mountain days a year and some ice climbing locally each winter, but they are pretty knackered. The rubber rands on mine are all cracked - tried filling it with seam seal with some success, and I have had some stitching blow as well. Also had some stitching blow on my Trango Extremes, and they are only 6 years old but do get used a lot more.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...