UKC

Faulty compass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lb1dej 14 Apr 2013
I discovered today that my Silva 4 compass has an almost 180 degree error. Fortunately I was with a group so it was not an immediate problem.

It's about 3 years old. Are they repairable?

Any suggestions on why this has happened? Could proximity to a camera or GPS in my rucksack be the cause? We also live near to overhead power lines - could electro-magnetic radiation be a cause - over a period of time?

Dave
Douglas Griffin 14 Apr 2013
 xplorer 14 Apr 2013
In reply to lb1dej:

Silva should repair it for you for free
OP lb1dej 14 Apr 2013
Thanks very much - have now read the MCoS item; think I'll send it back to Silva. I do have a cheapo spare though have not been in the habit of carrying it!.
Dave
In reply to lb1dej:

I would look for a strong permanent magnet near where the compass was stored. Loudspeakers, even small ones like in mobile phones are a good suspect. Magnetic catches e.g. on some cellphone cases are another. Generators like in wind up torches or motors are another.

You can use the compass to help find the source of a magnetic field - as it gets close the compass needle will move.

DancingOnRock 14 Apr 2013
In reply to lb1dej: Silva won't repair for free, it's a chargeable service. I fixed mine using a big magnet and remagnetising it. Mine went on a solo outing on the Glyderau. Bit scary and took a while to relocate myself
 wiwwim 14 Apr 2013
In reply to lb1dej: its not a NZ one is it?
 Radioactiveman 14 Apr 2013
In reply to lb1dej:

silva will repair for free,drop them an email and you pay the postage 1 way. Had no problem sorting mine for me last year when it reversed
OP lb1dej 15 Apr 2013
Phoned Hitch n Hike in Hope (High Peak) where I bought it. They keep a magnet in the shop just for this. I'd not realised what a common problem this is. Rather contradicts the advice to always trust your compass. Think I'll carry a cheapo spare with me in future.
Thanks again
Dave
 Rock Badger 15 Apr 2013
In reply to lb1dej:

Youll need three,, what if one is out, you might not know which one is correct
In reply to Rock Badger:
> (In reply to lb1dej)
>
> Youll need three,, what if one is out, you might not know which one is correct

Could always use a compass app on your phone to check your 'real' compass.
OP lb1dej 16 Apr 2013
yes - though my Garmin basic GPS also has a compass.
Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...