UKC

Fold flat water bottle 0.5L

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 21 Apr 2013
Hi,
I am after a fold flat water bottle. ideally 0.5litre, like this but smaller http://www.decathlon.co.uk/liquitainer-1l-water-bladder-hiking-and-camping-... quality and performance are my main concern, anyone know of something that fits the bill.
Cheers sjc
 stonemaster 21 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc: Platypus? Good luck.
 Jim_Davy 21 Apr 2013
http://www.sportsdirect.com/sportsdirect-fold-water-bottle-898053

Quality is...sufficient, in that they don't leak. Anyway, they're 99p.
J1234 21 Apr 2013
In reply to jeed:
Thanks, I will check out, but functionality has to be excellent as they will be used on big routes, but I will buy some and assess.
In reply to sjc:
> (In reply to jeed)
> Thanks, I will check out, but functionality has to be excellent

It's a bag that you put water in.

There are very few situations where using the word functionality doesn't make you sound like an idiot. This isn't one of them.

martinph78 21 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc: There are some on ebay (480ml)

Any reason you couldn't just half fill a 1 litre one though? Serious suggeston, I have a 3l bladder which most folk say is too big. Not if I only half fill it though
J1234 21 Apr 2013
In reply to victim of mathematics:
Thanks cock end. I have found one already but I think the the stopper may come open in the sack if caught by gear, 2000` route, bottle leaks, no water, problem, yes, so I want one I am happy with, if you cannot help sod off.
PS your through routes list lacks BAW`S Crawl.
Love and xx`s sjc
J1234 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Martin1978: No not really and a solution, just trying for my ideal, but thanks for the suggestion.
 Ron Walker 21 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

I just use Tesco basic water or lemonade bottles which cost about 20p including the contents! I get a whole season out of the bottles and they only weigh about 20 grams each. If you wish you could fit a Platypus hydration tube to it as the tops and threads are exactly the same although the cost is 40 times cheaper. It's also in the REAL sense very 'Green' apart from buying the water, which you can get out a tap for free!!!!
ice.solo 21 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

Theres 500ml silicone bottles about. Crush flat, stand up themselves etc. Stonger than plastic.
Happy colours.
Try homeware stores.
J1234 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Ron Walker: Exactly what I normally use, well actually not quite true I use 1.5L bottles cause they are cheaper and I drink a lot but there is a lot of fun in gear, infact I bet they could have an internet forum devoted to it, so indulge my water bottle obsession and after the flights and the drive the green thing is a moot point.
A Big trip, planning is at least 50% the pleasure.
J1234 21 Apr 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
Like this (there's some on ebay but cannot post link) I`ll look locally but thanks for the silicone hint.
Cheers
In reply to sjc:
> (In reply to victim of mathematics)
> Thanks cock end. I have found one already but I think the the stopper may come open in the sack if caught by gear, 2000` route, bottle leaks, no water, problem, yes, so I want one I am happy with, if you cannot help sod off.
> PS your through routes list lacks BAW`S Crawl.
> Love and xx`s sjc

Enchante

PS I don't think you understand what a through route is. The clue is that it involves going through something xx
 Pritchard 22 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

This is a newer version of what I use for wild camping

http://cascadedesigns.com/en/platypus/water-bottles/plusbottle/product

You can get them with a solid screw cap (that's what mine came with), no nothing should open it in your bag. It is 1 litre, but you can just half fill it, which also makes it more versatile for other uses. I especially like the offset handle opposite to the cap, which makes it especially good for dipping into streams to fill up.

Craig.
J1234 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Pritchard:
Hi Craig,
thanks, I have ordered 2 x 0.5L Soft bottles with the push pull cap, I shall see how they go http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/bottles-and-storage/softbottle/product
 steveriley 22 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:
I use something like that softbottle in my bumbag for long runs. It's been fine.
 wilkesley 22 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

Store them rolled up in the freezer when not in use. Stops fungus and other nasties growing when the inside of the bottle isn't perfectly dry.
J1234 22 Apr 2013
In reply to wilkesley:
You mean not at the bottom of my sack with the half eaten pork pie, banana skin and old sock. Cheers sounds a good tip.
 TobyA 22 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc: I bought the 1 and 2 ltr Source squeezy bottles from these guys last year: http://www.reusablebottle.co.uk/ Fair prices, quick delivery and they seem to be total hippies so you can feel all warm and squidgy inside for 'doing the right thing' at the same time.
 Tris 22 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc: I use these for snowboarding:

http://www.skibartlett.com/platypus---soft-water-bottle-05l-12110-p.asp

Have seen them with screw lids if you don't like the platypus standard nozzle thing.

Have sat on them many times and no bursts so far
 Solaris 22 Apr 2013
In reply to victim of mathematics:

From the Platypus website:
"we’ve upgraded the Platy-plus bottle to make it the finest one-liter vessel on the planet"

"Functionality"? Bah!

QED
 redscotti 23 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA: Hey, thanks for the heads up on this website!
J1234 29 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:
A bit of follow up, I bought 2 platypus and 2 Sports Direct and both seem great and the Platypus do not seem to be of noticeably better quality., so will buy more Sports Direct.
Both seem to only take 400ml.
They are both uber light and once empty tuck away nicely, so sack gets less volume as opposed to rigid bottles.
Cheers sjc
 Ron Walker 29 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

The only advantage I can see with the Platypus is that they can be filled with boiling water if you are staying in an Alpine hut. You could try pouring boiling water into both and see what happens, at worst the cheap bottle will shrivel up, if not they are more or less the same!!!!
 kyaizawa 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc: I don't know which platypus you've got, but I use the 1 liter plastic bottles with the sports-type push/pull cap: I found them incredibly annoying to pack in a bag until I duct taped the bottom end together (reducing volume to around 750ml) thereby enabling them to be slid bottom end first down sides of bags/barrels, without them catching/damaging on gear, etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...